23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 10:06 PM by Marshell Yang

Measure Box disappeared after installing 2010

Hey all,

After installing SW2010 (Upgrading from 09), for some reason, when i use the "measure" tool under evaluate tab, i do not get the same pop-up window which allowed me to change the measure units as in 2009! Im pretty sure its a simple setting, but just cant figure it out! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

• Re: Measure Box disappeared after installing 2010
          David Padelford

Paul

Do you get any pop up window at all

Garrett Brooks

We have a user that this happens to him every time he moves the measure box from one monitor to another it SW2010

close SolidWorks

go to the registry, be carefull when editing the registry

Start>Run>regedit

browse to this location

HKEY_USERS\S-a long bunch of numbers specific to your computer\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\General\Measure Dialog position

delete or rename "Measure Dialog position"

start SolidWorks

Hey Garrett, you are the man!!!!
                  Jim Wilkinson

Hi Garrett,

With regards to your statement:

"We have a user that this happens to him every time he moves the measure box from one monitor to another it SW2010"

At what time does this happen. Are you saying if the user has SolidWorks on one monitor and the measure dialog on another and then exits out of SolidWorks and starts SolidWorks back up, the measure dialog is gone? Or does this problem occur if the user removes the second monitor or something like that? I tested the first scenario and it seems to work fine so I am trying to figure out exactly what your user is encountering so I can investigate further.

Thanks,

Jim

Dan Bertschi

I checked the location Garrett mentioned with no luck, but I found a different key with that information on my system:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\General\Measure Dialog position. 

I just renamed the existing key ‘Measure Dialog position-old’ and a new one was generated that placed it back on  my primary monitor.  Removing my laptop from the docking station and hoping the position would reset based on monitor settings/availability didn’t work.

Daniel and Garrett,

I'm dying to know, how do you find these things out?  I realize that most of the time, we learn about registry entries from someone else, who learned them from someone else, etc.  But somebody figured it out in the first place.  How?

Dan Bertschi

Hey Ray,

Here's my approach to SW problem solving.  The first steps lay the foundation for the real problem solving.

1. You have to REALLY dig SolidWorks... more on that later.

2. Take all the SW training you can get, the earlier the better.

3. While you're at training, VAR events, and SW User Group meetings make a lot of friends, especially the AEs.

4. Attend SWWorld, go to the sessions, and take notes.  Meet great SW people, like Jim & Philip & Richard!

5. This is a simple, inexpensive, and often over-looked step... read the HELP screens, Tutorials, and What's New articles that are quietly sitting in your Help pull-down menu as we speak.  Can you hear them... "Read us, Ray, we're here for you."

6. Be friends with your IT people, they can help alot, and are generally very willing.

7. Join the SW forums...you already did that!

When the time arrives to solve a problem, you will be confident in your resources and how to use them.

Here's my typical order of use...

1. SW Help.

2. SW Forums.

3. SW peers at work.

4. IT help if it is in their scope.

5. VAR Tech Support.

This will get your ball rolling to a solution.

Specifically, how did I learn about the registries?  Using the above process...

At some point, many moons ago, I worked on a UI problem and I learned from an AE that the UI toolbars & dialog box locations were specified in the registry.  That's why, when you exit SW and come back the next day, your Annotation toolbar is still in the middle of your screen, right where you left it.  SW writes the registry when you exit and references them when you open the application.

I've also been involved in much hardware & system testing, internal CAD support & training, and the SolidWorks Community.

Back to diggin' SolidWorks...not only do you have to enjoy SW, but the more you enjoy experimenting, trying different techniques, and 'digging' up information, the more discoveries you'll make.  Set aside a little time each day towards diggin' SW, and you'll eventually have a pan full of SW gold!

Anna Wood

Ray,

Dan gave great advice.  I love it "Diggin' SolidWorks"

One habit I have is to read every message posted on this forum and also the SolidWorks forum on Eng-Tips.com, everyday.

I learn all kinds of things.  The vast majority I may not use until the future.  But sooner or later I will have an issue or one of my guys will.  I usually can remember that someone posted about the problem at some point in time.  Then I go searching.

There are tons of bits of SolidWorks gold posted everday here on the forums.

Cheers,

Anna

Richard Fradette

Daniel,

Thanks for mentioning the registry.  Although your registry key deletion didn't work for me, it did lead me to the key "uiMeasureDlg_c" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010\User Interface\Dialogs"   which I deleted and it rebuilt itself as described in your solution.  Thanks again !!

To all who responded to this post:

Thanks a lot for all the help. I finally figured out what was wrong. We had upgraded from 2009to 2010 and for some reason, some 2009 files were not deleted completely ( I had two toolbod files installed ). Removing the 2009 files simply solved the problem.

Marshell Yang

i had problem for over 3 months after and it is completely relsoved now. Thanks a lot.

you are great ,Garrett