15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 2:51 AM by John Layne

EPDM Upgrade DVD's?

John Layne

Just arrived at my clients office to see two boxes from our VAR both boxes contain the same DVD which appears to be for SolidWorks 2010 only, not EPDM. Am I correct in assuming that the EPDM is not on these DVD's?

Ironically my client doesn't have any seats of SolidWorks just a licence for EPDM as all the engineers here are contractors with their own software!

• Re: EPDM Upgrade DVD's?
          Anna Wood

What does your VAR have to say about what they shipped you?

Cheers,

Anna

John Layne

Just got off the phone to a confused office lady at my VAR, after some ringing around, yes they shipped the wrong DVD's. Which is ok because I haven't received my SolidWorks 2010 DVD so I'll pinch the clients.

Not actually planning on installing EPDM till SP4 or 5 so not too much of an issue, just wanted some quick clarification.

Sylvain Trudel

John,

Can you provide some details why you say: "Not actually planning on installing EPDM till SP4 or 5 so not too much of an issue"?  Is this for EPDM 2010?

Regards,

-Sylvain

John Layne

Hi Syvain,

Yes I'm referring to EPDM 2010.

I have been a SolidWorks user since the year 2000. My experience installing SolidWorks releases prior to Service Packs 4 or 5 has been less than satisfactory.

Some experiences that have stuck in my memory:-

SolidWorks 2005 SP0 due to a bug with Windows Installer I was unable to install SP1 for several months untll Microsoft published a patch. Not SolidWorks' fault in this case but some of the bugs in SP0 were slowing down my productivity.

SolidWorks 2009 SP4.0 (I have only upgraded from 2008 SP5.0 in the past month or so)

SPR 481950 Pack and go does not update references using a Prefix / Suffix if the document is set as read only. Workgroup PDM This also applied to EPDM. This might have been a minor issue for some users but caused hours of lost productivity for the company I'm currently contracting to. If this bug was there since SP0 (I'm not sure it was but--) days of work would have been lost  working around this. Luckily it was fixed in SP5.0 (which was released a couple of weeks after we upgraded to 2009).

There were over 300 bugs fixed in SP5 for 2009, not sure how many bugs were fixed in SP0 to 4. No doubt some of those bugs would have had a serious affect on how productive, and hence competitive, I would be using the software.

Simply put I have found installing SolidWorks (and EPDM) at any Service Pack below 4 or 5 to be a waste of productive time. Filling out bug reports, creating Rx files, to send to my VAR and spending time on the phone to them to fix bugs, costs me a lot of money. Unfortunately I'm not paid to test software, I only get paid to deliver models drawing and engineering solutions. I'm very grateful to all those out there who install at SP0 to SP4 their time spent reporting bugs is beneficial to all us late installers.

Sorry for the rant, I do like this software it's far more productive than a drawing board or worse AutoCad

. It's also very easy to focus on the negative than on positive.

Sylvain Trudel

I understand your position.  If your business model allows you to upgrade your tools only once a year, this is probably the way to go.  However, moving to a major release at the last service pack does not allow much time to get a specific fix that affect your productivity before SP0 of the next major release. ...

In the context of EPDM, my suggestion is to setup a ‘sandbox’ to install SP0 of the current major release as soon as it’s available to verify the integrity of the release in your environment.  If some issues are found, you have more time to see a fix from the software manufacturers involved.

-Sylvain

John Layne

I was actually ready to install EPDM 2010 on a test server, but thought the new licencing scheme would prevent that?

On the same network on different servers is it possible to have EPDM 2009 and EPDM 2010 running fully licenced?

Sylvain Trudel

John,

Yes.  The SQL and EPDM EULAs allow setting up a 'fail-over' system.

The section 3.b of the SQL EULA says:

a.     Fail-over Rights.  For any operating system environment in which you run instances of the server software, you may run up to the same number of passive fail-over instances in a separate operating system environment for temporary support.  If you have licensed the server software under the Per Processor licensing model, the number of processors used in that separate operating system environment must not exceed the number of processors used in the corresponding operating system environment in which the active instances are running.  You may run the passive fail-over instances on a server other than the licensed server.

-Sylvain
                                      John Layne
                                      So if I install EPDM 2010 on a machine that doesn't have an existing installation of EPDM I can just enter the licence number from the 2009 EPDM and it will install?
                                          Sylvain Trudel

John,

EPDM 2009 requires a 2009 license, EPDM 2010 requires a 2010 license.

To answer the previous question, an SQL server can host several versions of EPDM if it has multiple SQL instances.  Each versions of EPDM requires their distinct file servers to run the proper services.  Virtual environments are ideal to build sandboxes.

-Sylvain

John Layne

I would be confident and happy to test if I could install SQL and EPDM on separate machine. But if I have to install EPDM 2010 on the existing SQL server I'm too worried about screwing up the whole thing.

Currently we have the EPDM 2009 Archive and Database installed on the one Windows 2003 server, and I'm just not confident enough with EPDM and SQL to install 2010 on the same machine.

Sylvain Trudel

You do not have to use the same SQL as your production server.  Just create a virtual environment and install all servers ( SQL, EPDM DB and File servers) in the same environment.

MS Virtual PC is free.

John Layne

Thanks for posting it's much appreciated to see a SolidWorks employee posting here.

If I had more time to investigate installing MS Virtual PC and setting up a sandbox, I really would like to. But I simply don't have the time, design is my primary responsibility.

I need an idiots guide to this a step by step or a video would do just fine. But otherwise design time is just too valuable so it ain't going to happen. The client and I will just have to cross our fingers and hope SP5.0 for EPDM 2010 solve all our problems

Devon Sowell

John-

EPDM comes on 2 DVDs, one for EPDM, one for SQL Server 2008.

If your client has their "file keys", then they can just download EPDM and install.

Devon Sowell

http://www.pdmsolution.com