8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 5:21 AM by Derek Bishop

Meshing deletes components from assembly

Joe Rochinski

I created a mixed-element simulation today of an enclosure assembly consisting of a welded rectangular steel tube frame with sheet metal top and sides. All components of the frame are defined as solid, and I am using thin shell elements for all the sheet metal.

Upon meshing, I encountered the strangest thing I have ever seen. In the process of meshing, the software literally deletes all the sheet metal components from the assembly. If I go back to the model view, the parts are gone, and they no longer appear in the feature tree. Reloading the assembly or re-inserting the parts is the only way to bring them back.

Anyone ever see this one?

I'm using Win7 Pro 64 Bit, with SW Premium 2009 SP4.1 x64

• Re: Meshing deletes components from assembly
          Ian Hogg

Hi Joe,

I have seen this one before. If I recall correctly, the issue pertains to patterned or mirrored sheet metal bodies I believe (it relates to the midplane generations). Let me see if I can dig up on the status.

Ian

Ian Hogg

The issue with patterned sheet metal corrupting the model when meshing was corrected in 2009 SP03 (SPR 47891) and according to QA verified as fixed in 2009 SP04. I will give the model I had the issue a go and see if it's working now for me.

Ian

Joe Rochinski

Funny, Edit -> Undo Delete after meshing works to restore the unmeshed sheet metal parts!

Anyway, I tried creating a new assembly with the parts and encounter the same issue. None of my sheet metal parts contain pattern features, so this may be a different issue.

I will try saving the assembly as a singular multibody part and going from there. I ought to be able to accomplish what I want anyway with that method.

Thanks!

Bill McEachern

I have seen this. You registry is corrupted. And remember this is free advice so take with the appropriate risk mitigation strategies, you need to delete the Solidworks and SRAC registry keys for HK_local_user. I recommend adding a "_old" to the existing ones so you can get it back if it really screws up. The programs will build new ones on restart - obviously close the programs before you do this, and you will be fine though all your interface customizations and file references will be lost.

Good luck.

Jim Sculley

The chair model in the Simulation tutorials did this to me.  I mentioned it here but didn't get any resolution to the problem.

Jim S.

Joe,

I have seen this and documented what I found to be a solution.  Once, the "cause" was that a component was hidden before I clicked "mesh and run."  The component was deleted, not meshed, and I got errors saying that "transfer failed for contact pair <name>."  Edit -> Undo got me my component back.  SW actually recorded a "delete component" command call in the stack.  Funny, eh?

Another time, I believe I tracked down the "cause" to a configuration mismatch.  When I set up my simulation, one of my components was set to configuration A.  Then later that week, I found that this component was constantly getting deleted every time the study meshed!  It turns out that it was set to configuration B.  I guess the mesher had a problem with that.  "Hey, this guys not on the guest list!  Get him outta here!"

So I would try those two things before you go deleting registry files and such.  The above two "fixes" are easy to do and don't hurt anything.  I put fixes in quotes b'c I really don't know what the problem is, but these actions did help in those situations.  I have meshed hidden components since then with success.

I hope this helps!

David

Derek Bishop
                      I've had components deleted when a contact was deleted.