9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 8:39 AM by Craig Schultz

Flyou toolbars

Craig Schultz

Where did they go in 2010 (at least ev SP1)?  They were very handy in both the command manager and the 'S' shortcut....

Am I just missing it?

• Re: Flyou toolbars
          Matt Lombard

There has been a bug in this area of the interface for 2-3 years, and I know people at SW have explicit knowledge of the bug because we've talked about it. The other bug I've seen is that if you use large icons, right about where your list of icons leaves off, my list shows about 30% of the icon (like its showing a large icon in the space of a small icon.

I'm using SW10 sp1.0ev on Win7

See right after Weld Bead how you can only see a portion of the icon. That's about where yours leaves off. Try switching to large icons and see what that does for you.

flyout list.png

• Re: Flyout toolbars
              Craig Schultz
              Tried every combination of the large/small icon options, no dice.  Thanks for the try Matt.
                Jim Wilkinson

Hi Matt,

I believe these are two seperate problems, they are just both related to the "hard coded flyouts" that I mentioned in my last post.

Does the problem that you show in the image happen all the time? I am not able to reproduce it on my Windows 7, SolidWorks 2010 installation.

Thanks,

Jim

Matt Lombard

Jim,

Yes, my problem is 100% of the time on every machine I use for the last 2-3 versions of SW. You have to turn on Large Icons to see it. We've talked about this before. It works correctly if you turn off large icons and restart SW. It's not a big problem, but it is something I would think you folks would want to fix.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Matt,

I remember we communicated on the quality of the flyout images being incorrect in SolidWorks 2008. We could not reproduce it but examined the code and made some adjustments that we thought would fix it and put those changes into SolidWorks 2009 Beta2. I didn't hear back from you on it after that so assumed it was fixed. Now with this latest information, I finally was just able to reproduce both that original quality problem in SolidWorks 2008 and the truncating problem in SolidWorks 2009 and 2010. Both of these were caused by the large icons setting. The reason I was never able to reproduce it earlier was because the behavior does not show until you shut down and restart SolidWorks after turning on the large icon setting. When we changed the code in SolidWorks 2009 Beta 2, it looks like it changed the behavior from shrinking the images (causing the poor quality) to leaving them the original size but truncating them. Now that I can reproduce it, I've given it to a developer to look at. They should be able to change the code so it uses the small version of the icon in the customize dialog even when large icons are turned on.

Thanks for the latest clue,
                        Jim

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Craig,

These flyouts are what I refer to as the "Hard Coded Flyouts" in this blogpost: Technical Tip: Flyout Tool Buttons

They are defined in the registry and the only time that I have seen them missing in the user interface is when the registry is not properly defined. If this portion of the registry is not properly defined, you could also be missing all sorts of other information as well that is important to running SolidWorks. As a test, you may want to consider exiting SolidWorks, renaming the SolidWorks 2010 entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks to another name and then restarting. When this is done, it should remake the SolidWorks 2010 registry settings from scratch, or from the latest version prior to SolidWorks 2010 that you have run on that machine (since we migrate your customized settings forward from one release to the next). You will lose any customization that you have done to settings in SolidWorks 2010, but there may be no alternative.

I hope this helps,

Jim