11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 8:02 AM by 1-M4OM40

Water Pressure Distribution

Poovaiah Devenira

Hi,

I am analyzing a Vertical Solid Plate under water;

The height of the plate is 14 ft, Length 56 ft

The Maximum water head is 80 ft.

I can calculate the pressure, stress and deflection mathematically, however since the force distribution is trapezoidal, I was wonder if any could help me on how to apply this force in SolidWorks simulation, so that I can analyze it.

• Re: Water Pressure Distribution
          Jim Sculley

Look at 'Loads and Restraints' in the Simulation help file.  There is a non-uniform pressure load option.

You'll have a linear equation where the pressure is atmospheric at the surface of the water and increases linearly with distance below the surface, giving your the trapezoidal profile:

P = P+ ρgh

Switching to x-y nomenclature, assuming y represents depth into the water and x is along the surface of the water:

P(x,y) = P+ ρgy

As we know, pressure depends only on the depth.

Simplify the constants:

P = A + By

So, in the non-uniform pressure distribution dialog, you set all the terms involving x to zero.  You put Pa for the constant coefficient A, and ρg for the y coefficient B. Or zero for Pa if you don't care about atmospheric.

Jim S.

• Re: Water Pressure Distribution
            Anthony Botting
            Hi Poovaiah: since you know the distribution equation for your force, you can just use the "Nonuniform Distribution" option. If not already done, define a coordinate system to relate to the distribution equation. Then, right click on "External Loads" and choose the Force or Pressure option. In the PM there should be an empty option box labeled "Nonuniform Distribution". Check that, and it should open up and you can put-in your coefficients. There is an example in the Help file (click on the "?" in the top right corner of the PM). Good luck. Tony