20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2008 10:37 AM by Justin Binkley

CosmosXpress..

Administrator
      You can create a study with CX just for single body. You need to combine all body to sigle body, then analize them. If not......if you have SW off Premium........you can analize it with multi body without any problem. But, it`s depend on the size of your model. Hope this help.

-Mks
        • CosmosXpress..
          Administrator
          Hello
          Please someone knows how can I make a study with CosmosXpress for a part modeled with the Function Weldment Profile
          • CosmosXpress..
            Justin Binkley
            anyone?
            • CosmosXpress..
              Yes, CosmosXpress only works on single body, you cannot use it on an assembly. If you want to use it on an assembly, you have to save the assembly as a part, then combine all the bodies into a single body.
              • CosmosXpress..
                Justin Binkley
                FAIR ENOUGH. I ASSUME THE RESULT WOULD BE VERY COMPARIABLE TO REAL LIFE EVEN THOUGH IT WOULD TRULY BE CONSTRUCT AS A WELDMENT?
                • CosmosXpress..
                  Justin Binkley
                  knowing that the weldment model needs to be converted to a workable prt file to do an analysis, what you be the recommend file ext? I tried a SLDALPRT but I had no luck.

Just to clarify it is a weldment created in a prt file. How do I combine all geometry to make a single soild feature to be used for an analysis?
                  • CosmosXpress..
                    Anna Wood
                    While in the assembly file....

File > Save As > in the Save As Type drop down select .sldprt

Cheers,
                    • CosmosXpress..
                      Justin Binkley

Anna Wood wrote:

While in the assembly file....

File > Save As > in the Save As Type drop down select .sldprt

Cheers,

This is already created as a sldprt file. I then converted it to a sldalprt so the analysis could be performed. Will not run. I actually will apply all the necesssary cosomoxpress load parameters and it will say the system does not have enought memory and must terminate. It will then crash.

Any ideas???
                      • CosmosXpress..
                        Justin,

Try with the original file, Insert... Features... Combine; select all the bodies you want to analyze. then run CosmoX.

Jay
                        • CosmosXpress..
                          What type of weldment are you working on? You may be running into a CosmosXpress limitation. CosmosXpress does not work well for large parts with thin walls, at the default mesh settings it usually fails with a mesh volume error. If you decrease the mesh size the computer will take forever and may fail with an out of memory error.
                          • CosmosXpress..
                            Justin Binkley

Jay Porter wrote:

Justin,

Try with the original file, Insert... Features... Combine; select all the bodies you want to analyze. then run CosmoX.

Jay

Jay. this method will not work. This weldment is made by structural tubes. It give me an error when trying to combine all features. Take a look at the attached jpeg. thanks...
                            • CosmosXpress..
                              Justin Binkley
                              Anyone have any ideas...
                              • CosmosXpress..
                                Devon Sowell
                                Hi Justin-

If you post the file, I'll take a look at it. I use CosmosXpress on my weldments.
                                • CosmosXpress..
                                  Justin Binkley

Devon Sowell wrote:

Hi Justin-

If you post the file, I'll take a look at it. I use CosmosXpress on my weldments.

Sure thing. Please see the attachment.
                                  • CosmosXpress..
                                    Justin Binkley
                                    ANY IDEAS ANYONE...PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHMENT ABOVE.
                                    • CosmosXpress..
                                      Merry Owen
                                      Hi Justin,

The modelling techniques for FEA differs from that required for fabrication - your frame is an example of this. As you have modelled it is great for fabrication but not good for FEA as the horizontal members have been trimmed flush with the face of the vertical members - thus you leave a nasty open area between the members, that when fabricated will actually be filled with weld.

To prepare your model for FEA you will need to get rid of the trim to surface that you used and instead, trim the horizontal members to the vertical bodies (this will profile the end of the horizontal members to that of the vertical). You may also need to make the end caps size for size and have a radius instead of the chamfer. All of this will then allow you to combine all of the bodies into a single body (use the body filter tool and then select all bodies in the window, RMB and select combine).

Once you have a single body you will be able to run Cosmos Express. BTW, you have used 'plain carbon steel' for your material, I think you will find that hollow section has a higher material grade (here in Australia it is either Grade 350 or Grade 450).

Hope this helps

Merry
                                      • CosmosXpress..
                                        Justin Binkley
                                        Thank you Merry. I will give your suggestions a shot and I will post my results.
                                        • CosmosXpress..
                                          Devon Sowell
                                          Hello Justin-

Sorry I haven't worked on your file. Merry is correct, he's a Weldments pro!

I've just been buried in work the last few days, my phone won't stop ringing.
                                          • CosmosXpress..
                                            Brian Lindahl
                                            Another trick to try for this is to get the model of the weldment into the single body, then export to a parasolid, and re-import. This simplifies the model to a "dumb" model, and drastically reduces file size. It may be that the smaller file size is leaving more memory for CX. I have had reasonable luck with CX working on the dumb model, when it would not on the parametric model.
                                            • CosmosXpress..
                                              Justin Binkley

Brian Lindahl wrote:

Another trick to try for this is to get the model of the weldment into the single body, then export to a parasolid, and re-import. This simplifies the model to a "dumb" model, and drastically reduces file size. It may be that the smaller file size is leaving more memory for CX. I have had reasonable luck with CX working on the dumb model, when it would not on the parametric model.

Well I have had functionable results with Devon suggestions, however I positive the accruacy of the results of the CX is off. I'm certain this is due to the constraints that I applied. Need to take a lesson on this on. My results have shown one leg underhigh stress and the other 3 legs were not effected.

I apprecited your alternate suggestions. If this method works, it would be worth it so you can advoid trimming your weldment section just to successfully run CX; which is time consuming.
                                              • CosmosXpress..
                                                Justin Binkley
                                                I also need some futher guidence to analyse a simple structural frame stand that was created by weldements. We have the basic package of SW 08. I will be using Cosmosxpress. I been having problems setting up the required info. For some reason looks as though I can only select a single member of my weldment assy. Any thoughts...

thanks,