13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 4:00 PM by Brian Endres

Upgrading SolidWorks files in the vault  after a SW upgrade

Lucas Dexter

SolidWorks raved about how much faster SW 2009 is over 2008.  After our SW upgrade to 2009, our efficiency went way down, to the point I had over 30 cases open with our VAR within a week.  After months of trying to figure out what the problem was, we came to the conclusion all of the files in the vault needed to be upgraded to the latest release.  SolidWorks does have an upgrade tool now with limited functionality.  We were able to upgrade all the parts in the vault with the tool but with its limited capablities was unable to upgrade all the assemblies and drawings.

Has anyone had any issues or found a way of performing upgrades to all the SW files in the vault after a SW upgrade?  Upgrading the SW software is difficult enough on its own, now throw EPDM into the mix and it is almost impossible.

On a side note, after we upgraded all the part files in the vault, the calls from users went way down.

Note to SolidWorks:  if an upgrade requires all the SW files to be upgraded to the new release, please, please, please, give your customers the tools to perform such tasks inside the vault.

• Re: Upgrading SolidWorks files in the vault  after a SW upgrade
          Chad Leman

Lucas~

I also ran into this same problem.  The issue for us was that the converter tool has no option to upgrade the assembly using latest versions by default.  So it would hiccup and refuse to upgrade files that weren't the version it thought they should be.

I entered an enhancement request with SW, and supposedly 2010 has the ability to upgrade assemblies using latest versions of parts automatically.

Not sure if this was your issue with the converter or not.  I haven't looked at 2010 yet either.

Regards,

Chad

Jeffrey Deopere

+1 for Anna.  That is precisely what I did.  I still had some files that did not want to convert thru the app.  I was able to get them converted manually tho.  I started with the parts, then the assemblies and finally the drawings.  I also broke the vault into multiple sessions so I could easily determine the ones that failed.

Good luck

Jeff

John Layne

Must admit I struggle with the idea of upgrading all the files in the vault.

I understand there will be issues with SolidWorks and EPDM slowing down to a crawl if you don't do the full upgrade.

Over many SolidWorks releases I have experienced strange things when upgrading files to the latest versions.

Sketch problems - over constraining - splines changing shape.

Part problems - red arrows in the tree where there were none before

Drawing issues - dimensions falling off, text moving around the sheet.

Assembly issues - Especially mates flipping etc.

My major concern is if you upgrade all the files it's very hard to know what has gone wrong with each file. Hence from a Data management point of view, how can you be certain that a file Revision is the same as it was before the upgrade.

It's a difficult descision, if you have small assemblies and small data sets it's probably best not to upgrade everything in the vault. If you have large assemblies and are having difficulties due to SolidWorks converting the files each time they are opened, I can see why companies would want to overcome those issues by upgrading the whole vault, but there is a good chance something will change unexpectedly that will cause issues.

Lucas Dexter

Hi John,

Believe me, I would not take the many hours required for the upgrade or go through the hassle if SolidWorks did not require it. We got away with not upgrading from 2006 to 2007 and from 2007 to 2008, but from 2008 to 2009 we lost many man hours due to SolidWorks moving at a snails pace because all the files were not to the latest version.  The upgrade tool, still in its infancy, needs to be a little more forgiving and just perform the upgrade to all files and all versions regardless what version the system thinks the files should be in.

I totally agree with you about converting the files, you never know what you are going to get when it's done.  The crazy thing is, I do not recall SolidWorks having major performance issues when all files were not upgraded prior to the 2009 release.  2009 was definitley a tough upgrade for our company in terms of performance.

Thanks for the post!

Brian Endres

I just finished up our 2010 upgrade and it went remarkably smoother than our SW 2009 upgrade.

We had a totally different strategy this time and it was done during our holiday shutdown.  I checked out every part and assembly file onto my computer and worked offline from the vault.  I would have done drawings too, but those are saved in PDF format in another system and if they ever get opened again, they will be converted on demand.

Next, I ran the SW Task Scheduler and ran thru the conversion of all the part files first (about 23k files)  - that wasn't bad at all.  Once the parts were updated, I ran thru the assembly files (close to 5k files) .  The assemblies caused a little more pain, but I had the timeout set for 10 minutes or so, which meant the giant files didn't convert - those I'm taking care of now on a case-by-case basis.

After this was all done, I went back to working online and checked everything in!

Next time, I may want to try the SolidWorks Network Monitor, but the above method did work.

brian

David Dillon

How are you using EPDM? Just for vaulting or for revision control and, if so, how does that affect your revisions through the upgrade?

Brian Endres
                              We use EPDM for our revision control.  This new checkin just creates a new version, not a new revision.  And, in the history, I just put "Files upgraded to 2010 format" - that way people will know that it wasn't a form/fit/function change and won't require a new revision.
                                  Lucas Dexter

Hi Brian,

This sounds like a sound method if you do not have a large vault.  We are dealing with over 300K files and about 1.5TB of data.  Upgrading all the files usually takes days or weeks so keeping the files hijacked for that amount of time is not an option for us unfortunately.

Doesn't upgrading with the task scheduler put a version in front of the latest released revision?  One of the nice things about the EPDM upgrade tool is it will put the latest revision version as the last version so users are still looking at Revision "?" when they "Get" a file.  One of the criteria for the upgrade is it needs to leave the last revision version in tact and it can not drive a new revision.  By using the upgrade tool you can accomplish this.

Thanks for the post!

Brian Endres

I just wanted to resurrect this thread with a word of warning.

Yesterday, I finally found out why our replicated server at our other site was not working (since the 2010 upgrade).  For some reason, using the SolidWorks Task Scheduler to do the updates causes a problem with replication - luckily, they are mostly viewers of the files and not adding versions/revisions themselves.  So, I need to bring the server back here to my local office and create the new replicated server from scratch.

It's amazing how a SolidWorks provided piece of software (Task Scheduler) screws up another SolidWorks provided piece of software (Enterprise PDM)...  Then again, I'm not really that surprised.

-------------

Correction:

Thanks to a lot of help from our VAR and SolidWorks support everything is up and running again.  We didn't have to do any hardware moving and our replicated server is back on-line, working as it should.