15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 10:36 AM by Manlio Ramrez F

TASK PANE NOT FUNCTIONING

Tom Mathieson

one of my colleges is having a problem with his task pane.  basically, it does not work, and it seems to be detached from sw... see image

click on any of the icons brings up the message " clikc to expand  9or something)  but nothing happens

any suggestions?SP32-20091119-095427.jpg

• Re: TASK PANE NOT FUNCTIONING
          Kelvin Lamport

Is your colleagues desktop usually black?

Expand the SW window to full-screen size. (Click the Maximize button).

Change the Task Pane selection to something other than Custom Properties/Tab Builder.

Can you now see and click the Dock Task Pane button?

Tom Mathieson

Kelvin,

have you never seen the screen go black in SW?  what are you running, quick let me know.  this is just too hilerious, (you can only laugh anyways..).  i just went to reply, and i got a 'black window"  in SW  (  see my other rants under performance i think about dual monitors), and now SW is gone!!!  just like that, no errors or anything, just gone....

lol...

tried the reboot and full screen and docking...  no luck

Kelvin Lamport

Tom,

Yes I have seen various portions of the SW graphics turn black when I am running low on resources. That's why I was asking if your colleagues desktop was normally black.

Check my avatar for my computer specs.

Yes I have seen (too) many of your rants  ... but still like to help where I can.

Sorry to hear the full screen/docking didn't work.

Only suggestions I have left are;

Reset the SW registry.

Run a repair from the SW disc.

Super-Clean re-install.

Tom Mathieson

Kelvin,

i appreiate yours, and others, help and input on all my problems ( well, at least my SW ones ).  these forums are very helpful and have come thru in a lot of situations

my 'rants' are in no way directed at any of the members here, and i hope i haven;t offended any  of them.  just frustration at SW and my VAR....

i will try to keep them at a minimum  (but no promises...)

now,  how do we/I reset the registry?  go in and delete anything that has SolidWorks in it?

John Sweeney

Hi Tom,

Its possible that your taskpane window got resized to be too small, and it is also unpinned, which means you can't grab the edges to resize.  Instead of resetting your whole SW registry, you could try modifying the reg key for the taskbar directly (which would allow you to keep all your other customization).

Simly rename the following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 20xx\User Interface\General-Bar-59465]

This registy key holds info for the dock state, size and position of the taskpane.  If you rename it, SolidWorks should resort to the default position.

Best Regards,

John

Tom Mathieson

Hi John,

thank you, it worked!!  taskpane is alive. Kelvin, your solution was next if this didn't work.

thanks again to all

Tom

Kelvin Lamport

John,

Is a list available to show which of those (and other) reg keys control what? The naming convention is not very helpful.

Being able to perform precision surgery (as you have just shown) would be much better than using a sledge hammer.

John Sweeney

Hi Kelvin,

Unfortunately, we don't have a list of each "General-BarXXX" and what toolbar it associates to.  These registry key names are created automatically by Microsoft code when we ask them to save a toolbar state.  In theory, we could create a document that aligns the registy key name with the toolbar, but we could not "officially" guarantee the info since it could change from release to release (and of course we don't want you guys think we recommend making manual registry changes....  .)

If you have a specific toolbar you want me to lookup, I can give you the keyname...

Best Regards,

John

Kelvin Lamport
                                        If you have a specific toolbar you want me to lookup, I can give you the keyname...

So if I gave you a list of all the toolbars, you could give me a keyname for each? 

Seriously though, if this information is accessible to SW personnel, could it not be made available in (for example) the Knowledge Base or the web-based per-realease Help files? This could be a real time saver for the more tech-geek or adventurous among us.

John Sweeney

Hi Kelvin,

I understand your desire to have a complete list... the problem is that its not something we can publish since it could lead to registry issues if someone manually edited the registry incorrectly.   We truly don't recommend or support editing of the registry directly.

If someone has an issue with a specific toolbar/docking bar, then it is easier to address that question on a case by case basis where we can analyze what issue the customer is experiencing and suggest specific steps to take in the registry if they are comfortable doing manual edits.  Publishing a list is a bit uncontrolled from that standpoint.

One general way we do recommend for "preserving" your toolbar states and customization is to save your settings using the "Copy Settings Wizard".  Once you are happy with your SolidWorks UI customization or settings, close SolidWorks and run the "Copy Settings Wizard" from your Start-Programs bar and choose the "Save" option to generate a .sldreg file.  This file can be used as a backup that can be restored if things go awry, or if you simply want to share your settings with someone else.  I realize this is the long way to accomplish what you're looking for, but it is the only one we can truly support for our user base.

Best Regards,

John

Kelvin Lamport

John,

OK, here's one for you ... the registry key which controls the Flyout toolbar as mentioned in https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/29137?tstart=0

I have to agree with Jim in this case ... the sledgehammer is probably the best tool; but it would be nice to just selectively correct the problem, if only as an experiment.

John Sweeney

Hi Kelvin,

As you may suspect, the registry key mentioned in the other thread for flyouts is "user interface/toolbars/flyouts".  However, the situation mentioned in that thread is a unique case of some form of registry corruption.  We're not sure how that user got into his state where flyouts were missing.

I'll reiterate that we do not recommend modifyng the registry directly.  Even a nicely named registry key like above may drive other things in the system that you do not expect... Restoring from a "backup" copy as mentioned earlier, or simply renaming the entire SW key as Jim mentions in the other thread is the safest way.

Best Regards,

John

Manlio Ramrez F

Thanks a lot!

I had a similar problem with a task pane showing only the upper icons, but unable to be moved, resized o to show anything. When you clicked the icon of SolidWorks resources, for example, all it did was to show a grey area. I'm telling it just in case anyone has my problem too, not exactly the title problem.

I just renamed the registry as you said and worked!