3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 5:10 PM by 1-A5CHD1

EPDM API and SolidWorks API Interaction

Jim Sculley

In light of a recent discussion in another thread, I have been wondering if I have overestimated the level of integration between the SW and EPDM APIs.  My question is this:

Can an EPDM add-in access all of the functionality available in the SW API?  In other words, in the context of the EPDM API, do I have access to objects such as ModelDoc, AssemblyDoc and Component for the files being checked in, checked out, etc.

Jim S.

• Re: EPDM API and SolidWorks API Interaction
          Not without adding a reference to the SW API in your add-in. The EPDM API only exposes objects specific to the vault. (It doesn't know (or care) what file type you're handling. SolidWorks? Office? AutoCAD?)
            • Re: EPDM API and SolidWorks API Interaction
              Jim Sculley

aaa

Not without adding a reference to the SW API in your add-in.

That's fine.  As long as it is possible.  From what I've read, PDM add-ins are distributed to other machines automatically.  So, if I create an addin with the appropriate references, it should work for all other SW users.

The main question is, if I have a document I'm checking in or out or whatever, what is the effort level to get the ModelDoc or other interface for that specific document?

The EPDM API only exposes objects specific to the vault. (It doesn't know (or care) what file type you're handling. SolidWorks? Office? AutoCAD?)

Understood.  SW, AutoCAD and Office all have APIs as well.  The ability to speak to them directly would be invaluable.

Jim S.