9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 8:29 AM by Lucas Dexter

EPDM and Drawing Revision Block

Jim Sculley

I am revamping all of our drawing templates in advance of an EPDM rollout in the next couple of months.  Our current drawing templates include a revision table; where we enter a revision description, the name of the person performing the revision, and the date of the revision.   From, what I've read, it seems like EPDM doesn't integrate with revision tables out of the box.   You can ge the revision number on the drawing, but I didn't see any mention of revision tables in the EPDM Admin Guide.

Have I missed something, or do EPDM users manually update the revision table?  Or perhaps, you don't use revision tables at all, and instead rely on the PDM file history to tell you what happened.  If so, how do you handle drawings sent to outside companies for manufacture and such?

Jim S.

• Re: EPDM and Drawing Revision Block
          Josh Hunsberger
          Well this is how ours works.  We have a Rev table, and if we want to add a rev we right click on the table and choice "add revision", and the embeded excel spreadsheet opens up and we fill in the rev level (A, B, C or 0, 1, 2, 3) and then the date, rev decription and the persons initials that is doing the rev.  and then when we place the rev triangle it matchs the rev level from the table, and if you change the rev in the table the triangle changes.  whether this the best way i dont know, i did not set it up.  see attached file hopefully you can open it and work with it.
            Lucas Dexter

Hi Jim,

We perform our revisions on SolidWorks drawings similar to Josh.  We track the revision letter in the EPDM data cards but do not track the revision information.  To get the revision information we have to look at the drawing.  Not saying that it can not be done, but we did not see a reason for adding the revision description on the data cards in EPDM.  Of course there is always the history of the file in EPDM but our users do not add the revision description in the history notes like they should.

All other fields on the drawing, or in the custom properties of the file, must be mapped to the data cards manually using the variables in EPDM.

Hope that hleps,

Lucas

Take a look at this blog post from Razorleaf.

We do as others mention here for the revision block. We update it manually. Something the post doesn't mention is that the preview and file are not actually updated until it is checked out again. EPDM can not modify a file beyond the file properites when the file is checked in. Since transitions happen when a file is checked in, your revision block will not be updated until it is checked out.

I wrote an add-in a while back to tackle this but it was cumbersome to say the least. Check-in file, change state, get transition comment, update revision comment variable, change state again, check out, update revision block, check back in, change state one last time.

Hrm, I may try it again using a task...

Jim Sculley
                  EPDM can not modify a file beyond the file properites when the file is checked in.

Really?  Is this an out-of-the-box limitation, or is it a universal truth that the API or other methods cannot overcome?

Jim S.

It's not a limitation per se. Think of the damage that potentially could be done if a file could be modified while it is checked in. In fact, I should have been clearer; the API will not update file properties either. I was thinking of updating file variables in the database. Which one should never do directly. (Standard SW disclaimer so Joy doesn't slap me in the back of the head.)

A file can be modified just before check in however.

A task could be written to update your drawing with the last revision comment and place it in the revision block. I might just tackle that sometime. I'm not sure what the best way would be to go about it (separate workfow?) but it would be nice to be able to automate it.

Jim Sculley
                          A file can be modified just before check in however.

I misinterpreted your original statement as though this were not possible.  You said 'when a file is checked in'.  I mistook that as the process of checking it in.  Not 'a file that has been checked in and is currently sitting in the vault'.

EPDM should provide the freedom to do anything I want (programmatically) during check in, including something as ridiculous as deleting all the geometry from a model.  Once checked in though, I agree that the file should be off-limits for editing.

Jim S.

Joy Garon

Hi Lee -

How did you know I was lurking in the background? :-)

I've been busy teaching the last three weeks so I'm a bit behind on the forums...thank you for your participation!

Joy

Lucas Dexter

Jim,

One thing to keep in mind about data card fields in EPDM; the more fields you have, the longer it takes to search them and the longer it takes to perform upgrades.  Try to keep the data card information to a minimum if possible.  The question I ask when adding data card fields is, "will users ever need to search on this data?"

Lucas