10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 9:48 AM by Rick Smith

Exporting 3D sketch

is there anyway on exporting jsut the 3D sketch or curve to an iges file without all the 2D stuff
        • Re: Exporting 3D sketch
          David Suelflow

I’ll give this one a bump…  I have a 3d sketch which I need to export to a DWG/DXF while retaining the 3d information.  If I do a Save-As, it comes through as a 2d projection of the view on the screen.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish this?3D Sketch.jpg

Hello Guest,

Not sure what you mean by "all that 2D stuff?"  If you have a SW Part file with 3D sketch curves created, then you can save as an IGES file with the export options:  "IGES Wireframe (3D Curves) - type B-spline (Entity type 126), check mark "Export 3D curve Features and "Export sketch entities."  That should do it.

Regards

Mark

Rick Smith

Hello,

I also have a file with a 3D spline (from "spline on surface" within an assembly) that I need to mirror and use to cut the surface that the spline was drawn upon.  I can't seem to find a way to mirror the 3D spline, much less use it to cut the surface, and when I tried to export based on Mark's recommendations, I get everything except the spline.  If I can get the spline and it's parent surface exported, then I am quite sure that I can mirror the spline and cut the surface in another application, such as Rhino.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

David Suelflow

Could you do an “Extrude Surface” from the spline, mirror the surface, and then start a 3DSketch and do a “Convert Entities” of the edge to get your spline back?

Rick Smith

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion David.  I'm probably showing a bit of ignorance in other areas here but...I thought "Extrusions" were possible onlly from a part level, this 3D spline is on the assembly level.

I might be missing something really obvious, but I have yet to find a way to mirror the spline, or extrude it into a surface, or export it in any way.  The only method that I can now think of is to write down the coordinates of the points that make up the spline (SW won't allow me to highlight and copy the data to the clipboard or else I'd copy the coords directly to a spreadsheet) and then reconstruct the spline in another application (or possibly at part level).

Thank you again and please let me know if I am missing the obvious.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Not sure what is going on - but I just tried this and SOS sketch ARE exported via IGES.  I'm going from SW2011 to Rhino4 and they are showing up in Rhino. Can you send a example file out via SW and IGES?

Mark

Rick Smith

Thank you David and Mark for your replies,

David...as to doing this procedure as an "in context part", I may again be missing something (and there is a LOT within SW's capabilities that I'm sure I am missing) but I don't seem to be able to do much with the 3D spline other than modify it a bit or extract it's point locations.  I'm running 2011 Premium but I may have a setting off somehere or simply not know the proper procedures involved.  There does not seem to be an option (from "right-clicking" or menus) that allows for saving the spline out as a part or working with it within the assembly beyond the little that I have been able to do thus far.

Mark...unfortunately, this particular file is not one that I can  share, but I will try to duplicate the issue elsewhere and post that  result.  I followed your instructions for "saving as" an IGS with all the options recommended and I still get everything except the 3D spline...maybe there is a setting in global options or preferences that I am unaware of?  By the way, I was importing the IGS file into Rhino4 which seems to be one of the the most universal CAD applications in terms of what it will import and export.

My short term fix was to work outside of SW by remaking the "part to be cut" in Rhino (using the point coordinates from the 3D spline in SW to trim the part) and then import the new vesion back into SW and line it up to the original.

I'll keep at it and try to post an example of what is going on here.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Smith

Hello,

I made a simple assembly using an extruded cylinder as the only part and sketched two versions of a "spline on surface" (one closed, one open) and exported the lot as an IGS with Mark's recommended settings (I still get everything in the export except for the 3D splines).  I will try to post screen shots below...pic1 is the assembly in SW, pic2 is the export options, and pic3 is the IGS imported into Rhino.  I will also try to post the simple assembly and associate parts along with the IGS that was exported.

Thanks,

Rick