2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 3:42 PM by Mauricio Martinez-Saez

Beam Directions Wrong?

Silvano Stangoni

We are currently undertaking an analysis a weldment frame.  We have been attempting to generate beading moment diagrams and have had mixed success.

Our bending moment diagrams (see attached) appear to be correct but the orientation of direction 1 (green arrow) differs for each beam. I would expect the direction to be the same for each beam. Is this how solidworks interpreters it?

Has anyone encounted the same problem/result and how did they resulve it.

thanks in advance.

• Re: Beam Directions Wrong?
          Anthony Botting
          Hi Sylvano:I have found the beam direction is dependent on the direction of the sketch used for weldments. If you start drawing a weldment path line from the opposite direction, it flips the beam direction. If you are not using weldments, then the extrusion direction of the solid appears to control the beam axis direction. Hope this help. -Tony
          • Re: Beam Directions Wrong?
            Mauricio Martinez-Saez

34240 wrote:

We are currently undertaking an analysis a weldment frame.  We have been attempting to generate beading moment diagrams and have had mixed success.

Our bending moment diagrams (see attached) appear to be correct but the orientation of direction 1 (green arrow) differs for each beam. I would expect the direction to be the same for each beam. Is this how solidworks interpreters it?

Has anyone encounted the same problem/result and how did they resulve it.

thanks in advance.

The Blue, Red and Green arrows have nothing to do with the Simulation analysis, they are the axis if the Coordinate System of each body, and it is controlled by the way on which each body is created in relation to the main coordinates of the assembly.  If you want to edit or change coordinate systems for individual parts or elements take a look at the help section for "Coordinate Systems" inside SW and Simulation, there is a way to do that using the "Cooordinate System PropertyManager".