5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 12:22 PM by Paul Marsman

Search Path

Mohan Rao

Hi,

I recently saw a video about the use of search function(upper right corner of the SW interface). Per the video, the search should report critiria matches from Local drive (C:), all connected Network drives and 3D content central.

I dont get this kind of results. All I get is results from local drive.

Under Tools> File locations>Search path, I have the Network drive (T:) included. But the reults dont showup.

any help is appriciated.

Thanks

BT

• Re: Search Path
          Paul Marsman
          I don't use the search function myself but have you allowed SW to dissect the files with WDS? (Windows Desktop Search)
              Mohan Rao

Nope, I havent (I dont prefer to) . The dissection copies are different. arent they? But how is dissection and searching related.

I am expecting SW search finctionality to search for the files that I use from my project folders in the network drive. More over, I am expecting it to search the PDM folders also.

Jay Tuttle

The search feature is also based on the Microsoft Indexing Service done through the Windows control panel.  As far as I can tell, Windows Vista does not allow UNC locations to be indexed in the advanced features like Windows XP did.  See the attachment - "Index.jpg"  [there use to be a tab called "Add UNC Location".]

If you want to search UNC locations, see attachment - "Index2.jpg"  (You must use the Advanced Search options and direct the location to the UNC.)

As far as PDM searches, right click the vault view and select Find / Search...  See the attachment "pdm search.jpg"

Hope this helps some.

Message was edited by: Jay Tuttle