17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 4:58 PM by Jeff Sweeney

Who's using Enterprise 2010?

Ben Kalinowski

I'm anxious to take advantage of the new features in EPDM 2010, but my company generally waits for SP1 of a software package to come out before an upgrade.

I'm wondering what other are experiencing with EPDM 2010 SP0........

• Re: Who's using Enterprise 2010?
          Kyle Strong
          I am in the same boat. I am also wondering how difficult the upgrade is. We started with EPDM 2009 and I have not done an release upgrade only SP upgrades. Any info would be great thanks

Our upgrade was relatively painless. Overall it's still a PITA to update all the clients. (Has anyone had any experience updating clients uing Active Directory?) The upgrade on the database and archive servers went smooth.

It's been a few weeks now and I have not heard any complaints.

Kyle Strong
                Yes I would love some info on the active directory option. Also Lee do you have a ball park idea of how long it took you to do the upgrade? I just want to make sure that I budget enough time. Thanks

Updating the database and archive servers took no more than half an hour to 45 minutes. We don't have huge vaults though, about 80GB across 8 vaults.

Overall the upgrade took the better part of an afternoon with updating clients, updating replicated sites, and messing around with the new tasks feature.

Kyle Strong
                        Thanks that gives me an idea. Our vault is much larger but at least that points me in a direction. I a looking at hours not days. I am always worried about down time and it looks like we are going to do the upgrade Tuesday night when there are no Engineers on campus. Thanks again
                            Lucas Dexter

Kyle, I know this is an older post but just wondering how the upgrade went.  We have about a TB of data with three replcicated vaults and it took a couple hours to perform the upgrade on the server side (that was on a Saturday morning).  It took another week to work out all the issues with all the client machines.

Lucas

Kyle Strong
                                Actually we are doing it on the 2nd of December. So I am still waiting to do it. I will reply when I get more info. thanks
                                  Todd Puckett

We just upgraded last Friday evening from PDM 2009 SP3 to PDM 2010 SP0.

This was one of the quickest upgrades in recent memory.   We have 3 vaults with 500 Gb data replicated to 5 archive servers.  Most recent version upgrades have required us to upgrade the file vault archive which in our case took about 12 hrs.  We were not required to upgrade the file vault archive so the archive server and database server upgrade only took an hour.  I have tried the AD install option with just enough failures to make it unreliable.  Manual client upgrades took about 10 minutes each.  I created several administrative deployment images for the most common setups, this makes a 5 click install that even the end users can easily perform.

Some things I noticed but haven't caused any major problems:

-  Many users get a green plus sign on the vault icon, some seem to disappear eventually.

-  On XP computers the installation finishes after the reboot, some users reported an error message concerning windows not being able to unregister a dll.

-  Having issues opening some dwg files with overlayed xrefs, haven't finished testing this one.

-  An engineer in China got a error message “no review for dwg-files” when selecting autocad file... waiting to hear back.

So far not bad, waiting for SP1 which will recognize 2010 dwg files.

Todd

Ben Kalinowski

Thanks Todd for your feedback.

There's much talk about EPDM 2010, but I've been wondering about the deployment and SP0 issues.  It took us 4-5 months to get out from under the issues related to 2009 SP0 - mostly access time related.

Ben

Kyle Strong
                                        Great info Todd thanks! Another question do you know what CPU and amount of RAM you are running on your server. We were told that what we had was enough and after about 6 months we are finding that the server is locking up due to lack of resources. Thanks
                                            Todd Puckett

Kyle,

Checking task manager should help you determine if your hardware is not adequate.  On our old server the memory usage would exceed the physical memory and the processor would hit 100% for extended periods.  I think most of the processor usage was due to a problem with EPDM 2009 SP0, it was fixed in 2009 SP3.

Our database server is running SQL Server 2005 x64 on Windows Server 2003 x64.  It's running on VMware using two 2.5 GHz Xeon processors and 6 Gb RAM.  It is currently using just over 5 Gb RAM and the average processor usage is 4%, it will spike to 80% for short periods of time when users are performing searches or other database queries.  Window Server 03 or 08 Standard is limited to 4 Gb RAM so get the 64 bit version.

Our main archive server is running Server 2003 Standard.  It is also running on VMware using two 2.5 GHz Xeon processors and 4 Gb RAM.  It is currently using 800 Mb RAM and very little processor other than indexing.  This is also our EPDM web server.

Todd

Jason Capriotti

Lee, how do you deploy to the clients and how many clients do you have?

I have almost 500 clients and IT doesn't like the idea of pushing it out to them all at the same time. This initial install is not as big a deal, but service pack upgrades and new version upgrades means the clients will be without the system until they get upgraded.

We I update the clients manually. We only have 30 or so so it's not that a big of a deal. It's still a pain, but manageable.

I was going to look into getting Active Directory to do it, but I haven't got around to testing that yet.

I can't imagine trying to update 500 clients. Ouch!

Jeff Sweeney

They don't want everyone upgraded at the same time because of bandwidth? If this is the issue maybe they could update one active directory user group at a time?

Wow, if bandwidth is really their issue, surely it is more econimical to beat the network up for a few hours rather than have users playing nerf basketball waiting until it is their turn to be upgraded.

Lucas Dexter

I agree Lee, I have performed several EPDM upgrades now and updating the servers is actually the easy part.  Upgrading every client in the company is the part that really bites you in the butt! It sure would be cool if the client machine saw the server machine as being updated and updated the client "automagically".  Instead, I have to create some type of script file that performs various task during the users log in.  It would be even cooler if SolidWorks would create the web version to view drawings and then all I would have to do is update are the SolidWroks clients.

I have been bugging SolidWorks about getting the web version to show a preview for several years now.  Even better would be a "read only" web version that was able to preview files.  That would make my life a whole lot easier.

Lucas