4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 8:51 PM by Bill McEachern

Thermal analysis software

Prashant Joshi

We are thinking about investing in thermal analysis software and I would appreciate your recommendations.

1. Did you guys consider other packages?

2. Why did you select Flow Simulation over the others?

3. Was cost the primary factor?

4. Based on the what you know now, is this package still worth it or would you have bought something else?  What would you recommend?

5. How long have you been using it and are your designs simple or advanced?

Thanks,

Prashant

• Re: Thermal analysis software
          Basil Gello

Prashant,

what is the purpose of your studies? Sometimes it is better not to save on specific software for specific thermal needs (for instance electronic chip cooling validation).

• Re: Thermal analysis software
            Bill McEachern

Flow simulation is brilliant for system level analysis. I have clients that have verified the results of many thermal simulations of he electronic coling variety (areospace military instuments, digital cinema projectors, other sensor systems and telecom gear) and the product is right on and rarely off. If it is off it usually a finger issue (analyst error) or not all the physics was added (another analyst error). In my view it as accurate as any other code mentioned in this thread or more generally any code I know of for most of the physics it supports, it costs less and is by far the lowest effort hours to solution available. I have been using it for over 10 years on a very wide variety of applications. Meshing is a very big issue for all the other conventional western codes. Flow Sim's cut cell approximation is by far and away the best way to go for meshing robustness, speed, stability and convergence. Other vendors are making this style of CFD available now like STAR-CD (their wrapper) and scuttlebutt has it that Fluent is working on something as well. I believe the insperation for CART3D by NASA AMES was Floworks (Flow sims old name).

I don't think it is the optimal choice for board level analysis though. It isn't the best tool set for that type of work.