7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 12:10 AM by Nazeer Yusuff

How to deploy a EPDM .NET Addin

HI,

I created an addin for EPDM and now i am having hard time deploying it. Inside the addin dll i have a windows from and it contains some 3rd party .NET controls. I am using infragistics controls inside that form. We i compile the DLL there are some additional dll files that get created for those controls. When i install the addin on the EPDM server and go to PDM administration and add the addin the addin works fine on server, but when a client machine tries to run the addin it always gives me the error saying that it cannot find this 3rd party dll. I tried to copy those dll files the folder where EPDM store the addin on client machine but so far no luck.

Any body know how to solve this one?

Thanks

• Re: How to deploy a EPDM .NET Addin
          When you add you add-in in the Administer Add-ins dialog, there is a 'Add files...' button. Add your third party dlls to the list.

I get this message when i try to do that

Any idea on this one. This is the first time that i am trying to do this.

addin.JPG

If i say yes to this i have to say yes to the same thing at least 10 or more times. Then for the other dll. After pressing yes for some time it finally get added to the addin.

Now when the client tries to run the addin it takes considerable time to load the EPDM. Any idea about this

Thanks

I had the same issue with the replace dialog with a dll I created. It was a large file size because it was a library for working with the database. I had to trim it down to only the essentials.

As far as what is slowing down EPDM, it's hard to say. Could be your code, could be something else. When you say it takes considerable amount of time to load EPDM, do you mean EPDM itself after loading the add-in, or do you mean running the add-in?

I cannot trim down dll's that belong to infragistics. The other thing that i cannot understand is that why EPDM is asking me to click OK button so many times before addin the file.

Running the Addin is fast, but startig EPDM is slow after the addin is added. Without the addin it's fast. Not sure why it is happening.

One more thing that i would like to ask. Sometime i also have to use the swDocumenManager dll SolidWorks API dll fiels as well. Is it safe to add them to the files list as well. They will not overwite the existing versions of those files inside the client machine right? I have set to donotregisterCOM in the setup file.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jeff Cope

Hi Craig,

EPDM downloads your addin to the client computer everytime EPDM is loaded on the client.  Your addin actually runs on the client and not on the server.  This would slow down EPDM when it first starts if your third party dlls are large.  One option would be create your own shared assembly that is a wrapper for the infragistics libraries and an installer to deploy it to all end users computers.  You could then get away with not including it in your EPDM files.  It would be a little bit of trouble to deploy but remove the need to have the files downloaded everytime EPDM starts.

Best regards,

Jeff Cope

Nazeer Yusuff

Hi craig,

If you are updating com dll in sepdm or adding new com dll to the sepdm ,you need to be delete the files inside the vaultname folder under the below path  c:\documents and settings\username\local setting\application Data\Solid works\Solidworks Enterprise PDM\plugin\vaultname or Need to be restart each client machine for updatae will take effect.