2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 11:46 PM by Justin Sue

Element reduced to a line.

Justin Sue

I have previously got the model to run previously with the same global mesh size and with out the mesh controls. Only difference between the old model and the new model is a new surface, but the new surface does not contain the element that reduces to a line.

I have tried making a new study but the problem persists.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Also when i go to adjust the mesh tolerance, it doesnt change after i meshed it and check mesh details. it always shows a default 0.9mm tolerance. why is this?

• Re: Element reduced to a line.

Change the tolerance value in the mesh dialog box under mesh parameter.Play with different values.

This is one of the issue raised many times. But the developers will suggest to change the tolerance.

• Re: Element reduced to a line.
              Justin Sue

yea ive tried playing around with the tolerance but the tolerance value i set is not what solidworks meshes it to and just changes it back to the default setting for some reason.

this is what i got back from soldworks:

Discussion

Symptom
              When running a static analysis with a mesh containing shell elements, this error message appears at
              the beginning of the analysis.

Explanation
              The error message is displayed because the solver detected one or more very, very sliver shell
              elements. This can happen if you have surfaces that have knife edges and sliver faces. The reason
              being that based on the mesh size that you are using, one or several elements with a very high
              aspect ratio could have formed on these geometric entities. The area of such elements is almost
              zero.

Solution
              To get around the issue, you can do this:
              1. First plot the aspect ratio of the entire mesh. You can do this by right clicking on the mesh
              and selecting Create Mesh Plot.
              2. Then select Aspect ratio and click OK to generate the plot.
              3. Identify the regions that have elements with a very high aspect ratio.
              4. Apply mesh controls to these regions.
              5. Re-mesh the model and run the analysis.
              The error message should go away.

You can also plot the mesh and do a List Selected on the mesh plot. This will list all the shell
              elements of the surface you will select. Since the element are sorted by number, you can easily find
              the element which number is given in the message. You will then identify the area of the model
              when the mesh causes a problem. then, either apply a mesh control or edit the geometry to
              improve the quality of the mesh that will be generated.