26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 5:39 PM by Jeremy Feist

2010 NOT SO Rapid Dimension Manipulator

John Lhuillier
        Is there any way to turn OFF the "Rapid Dimension Manipulator" in 2010. All it seems to do is get in the way when trying to pick things that are close together and I end up with more dimensions that go nowhere than actual dimensions. So it's not a rapid dimension manipulator IMHO
        • Re: 2010 NOT SO Rapid Dimension Manipulator
          Matthew Lorono
          You mean that it is visually on top of other items you are trying to select?  Can you create a couple of screen shoots?  I have a feeling that if others are experiencing this, there may be an ER necessary.  It may not need be turned off, but maybe it needs to be smarter about when and where it appears, and maybe the % of the view window that it occupies needs to be readdressed.
              John Lhuillier

Matt,

Here's one small example that the manipulator almost covers the complete slot. IYes I could pick the line on the other part of the slot but if these aren't in line then it does no good. You have to zoom in to pick the other line to dimension to. Also I have the offset dimensions set to 500 so that I don't get the dimension snaps that place the dimensions. I would rather place them myself so I end up with dimensions that are 500" off of a standard D size drawing. This  feature needs to be controlled by the user and not done automatically.

Matt Lombard

I agree, there needs to be a way to turn this off.

I've posted on some sloppy functionality and a crash:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/124173#124173

I don't think this adds much to the software. It would be great to be able to turn it off.

John Lhuillier
                  I added an ER to have the option to turn this off. It's ER #1-1390413732 and under the drawing heading.
                    John Lhuillier

I don't think this adds much to the software. It would be great to be able to turn it off.

I haven't found any of the new popups for dimensions to add anything but frustration. It sure would be nice if someone from SW would respond with their intentions on why they feel that these "enhancements" need to be where they are and why we can't either position them where we want them or turn them off completely. Nothing advantagious for most if not all of them. There are other things with drawings that need fixed before adding enhancements like these that add virtually nothing to speed up the the drawing creation.

Neil Larsen

I was a little disappointed that they didnt take up the issue in your other thread.

Usually they are pretty keen to address useability problems.

Unfortunately fixing stuff doesnt fill the Whats New pdf with sexy features.

Keep trying though

Vajrang Parvate

Hi John,

I'm sorry to hear you feel that the rapid dimension and dimension palette do nothing to speed up the drawing creation process for you.

I do see the point about the dimension palette being somewhat obtrusive at times when it pops up over something you're trying to pick or view (even if the palette is transparent). We're working on a solution for this.

For the rapid dimension widget, all you have to do is move your mouse cursor away from the widget to make the widget disappear and the dimension placement will work just like 2009.

Regards,

Vajrang.

John Lhuillier
                              BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO MOVE MY MOUSE TO MAKE SOMETHING DISAPPEAR THAT WASNT THERE IN 2009. HAVING TO MOVE THE MOUSE AWAY AND WAIT TILL THIS WIDGET DISAPPEARS WASTES TIME. Having to do this several times a day adds up to time lost that wasn't there before. Give the user a choice to TURN THESE OFF rather than forcing us to "move the mouse away" from where we want to pick. Can it be that hard to add this option on these interface enhancements
                                Matthew Lorono
                                Instead of a deactivation setting, I think a great way to address this is to provide some quick method to toggle the dimension pie off when it does stand over a object that the user wishes to include in the selection, or maybe to provide some intuitive method to allow a user to complete their selection before the dimension pie pops up.  Perhaps provide a sub-command only to be used within the dimension command that allows the user to push a keystroke in order to quickly turn the pie on and off at will.  So if they set their pie as auto-off, then they can still use it by toggling it on within the dim command (and vise versa).
                                  John Lhuillier
                                  Another thing that SW should be looking at is LESS movement to help eliminate RSI injuries caused by the additional movements & picks needed to accomplish the same thing you could in previous versions. It seems like with every new release someone has come up with a new way to increase the mouse movements on something that was fine in previous releases. REMEMBER LESS IS ALWAYS MORE.

For the rapid dimension widget, all you have to do is move your mouse cursor away from the widget to make the widget disappear and the dimension placement will work just like 2009.

Regards,

Vajrang.

John Kratz

For the rapid dimension widget, all you have to do is move your mouse cursor away from the widget to make the widget disappear...

So... the minds at SolidWorks decided to furnish us with this pop-up window so we can enjoy the incredible convenience of manipulating dimensions without having to move the cursor all the way over to the left side of the screen (where the same options are available whenever a dimension is selected or placed).

What about the majority of dimensions, whose default properties don't need manipulating? Now we have to move the cursor further than before to de-select dimensions, in order to avoid accidentally clicking in that ridiculous pop-up box. Brilliant.

Please give us the option to turn it off.

Stephen Corner
                                      So, is there an open 'whatever you call them' request to get this thing turned off.  It is a huge problem for me and simply moving the curser is not an option if the second selecion of the dimension you are creating is hiden by the orange/blue circle.  I end up cancelling the dimension creation and reversing the selection process or zooming in closer.  Both take time.  PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!
                                  Alessandro Frattini

Hi,

usually I don't re-dimension my drafting, I import part item.

Sincerely, I like Rapid Dimension Manipulator, but in some case it must be implemented...

Another question is that an general option to turn off is necessary for users that don't like.

Regards,

Alessandro

Kyle Eckhardt

Hello

Our company just recently upgraded to 2010, and are having the same problem with the new pop ups as everybody else on this thread when dimensioning drawings.  Like most of the rest of you all I wish I could turn them off so it could be like good old 2009. 

Alessandro Frattini

Hi,

as discussed by other, Rapid Dimension need to be implemented.

A part the rapid dimension widget problem, rapid dimension need to cover more dimensions situations.

For example, Rapid Dimension add only dimension as parallel, but I would like to add dimension as the picture attached.

Regards,

Alessandro

Matthew Lorono

I would like to see the Dim Palette to behavior smarter, so it doesn't cover any portion of the view, or maybe that it comes up at the some location on the screen everytime so the user can zoom in or out appropriately to avoid the coverage issue before it is an issue.

Matt Lorono

SolidWorks Legion

Twitter: fcsuper

Jeremy Feist

I don't much care for the widget either, but it is growing on me - maybe if we try working with it for a while rather than against it. like changing you offsets back to a rasonable number, so that the dims don't get placed out in space. and getting used to using the alt key while dragging the dims so they ignore the snaps.

just a thought.

Jeremy