30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 11:43 AM by John Sweeney

Copy settings in SW2010

Albert Whatmough

Hey,

Quick question... has anybody else run into a problem with the copy settings wizards with SW2010?  I can restore previouse settings that I created.  But, and new settings I save will ONLY restore the system settings even if when I saved the settings I ask it to save everything.  Is it a known bug?

see the images below.

Cheers,

AL

SAVING THE SETTINGS

Copy Settings Wizard save.png

RESTORING THE SETTINGS

Copy Settings Wizard error.png

• Re: Copy settings in SW2010
          Charles Culp
          I couldn't get it to do anything at all. I did, however, do copy "from" SW2010 SP0.0 "to" SW2010 PR1. So I assumed that I needed to go to SP0.0. That is on tap for Sunday, so I will update on Monday if you don't get that resolved before then.
              Albert Whatmough

Charles,

Thanks for the quick reply.  If I hear you correctly you are also having issues with the copy setting wizard correct?

Cheers,

AL

BTW  I am going from 2010 SP0  to 2010 SP0

When I try to use settings from 2009 SP4 it works file  the issue appears to be in 2010's ablity to save settings.

John Sweeney

Hi Albert,

Looking at your second screen shot I can see that the wizard does not know the version of the .sldreg file you are loading.  Notice the text below the filename.  It says

"The registry file you selected was saved in ."

I would guess that you have not run SW 2010 yet on the machine where you generated the.sldreg file and that your SolidWorks HKCU registry has no nodes in it which say "SolidWorks 2010".  This would result in the .sldreg file having only the top-level SW registry nodes that are from earlier versions of SolidWorks.  You can open the .sldreg file in notepad to confirm.

SolidWorks will not write any registry info to HKEY_CURRENT_USER until you open it and then close it.  If you open the regedit tool on your machine (the machine where you created the .sldreg file), you should see that there are no "SolidWorks 2010" entries yet under HKCU.  If there are registry entries, try running the Copy Options Wizard again to create the .sldreg file.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish?  Are you distributing some registry settings to other users?  If so, then open SW, do your customization and then close SolidWorks so values are written the the registry before running Copy Settings Wizard.  If you simply want your old SW2009 settings to be used in SW2010, then you don't need to do anything if you've also run SW2009 on that machine.   All your old SW2009, or earlier, registry settings will be used the first time you start up SolidWorks 2010.  From that point forward, the SW2009 and SW2010 registry values will be independent from each other so customization done in SW2009 will not be used in SW2010.

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards,

John

Albert Whatmough

John,

Both screen shots are on the same system with the same Install... I was testing my backup.

Cheers,

Al

John Sweeney

Hi Albert,

So the second screen shot is of your .sldreg backup file?  The same logic holds true... if you haven't run SW2010 then the backup would only contain high-level HKCU nodes with no specific SW 2010 settings.  Can you open the .sldreg file in notepad to confirm?

Thanks,

John

Albert Whatmough

john,

I installed SW2010  setit up the way I wanted it.  Closed SW re-opened it to make seure hte settings saved and then ran the copy settign wizard.  Followed that up with trying to restore the setting on the same PC.  I wondered if it was because I had not changed any settings after I saved them so I used my oly 2009 settings file to change the settings to somethign different and tried them again.

Can you try to save and restore your settings with SW2010... does it work?  I have also attached my settings file.

Cheers,

AL

John Sweeney

Hi Albert,

Yes it works fine on my machine.If I open your .sldreg file in notepad, it has only top-level SW registry nodes.  There is no version specific info in it.

Can you give me some more info about this machine?   You say it has SW 2009 installed?  Did you install any SW2010 Beta's or PreRelease versions?

Are you running the SW 2009 or the SW2010 version of the Copy Settings Wizard?

Thanks,

John

Albert Whatmough

John,

Had SW09 on the machine and started with sw10 PR1 .... jsut removed 09 and PR1 to install sw10 sp0

I am using the 2010 copy setting wizard.

John Sweeney

Hi Albert,

Sorry... this shouldn't be so difficult.  Unfortunately the registry stuff can be tricky at times...

So the current state of your machine is:  You Ran SW2010 PR1, then uninstalled SW2009 and SW2010 PR1, and now you have installed SW2010 SP0 but not run SP0 yet?

A few questions:

1. At what point in the process above did you run the 2010 Copy Settings Wizard?

2. Can you open the regedit program and go to the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks/SolidWorks 2010" node and see if there is any data in that key?

3. If there is no data found in the key from #2, Run SW2010 again and close it.  Then repeat #2.

4. What are you trying to accomplish with the wizard?  We may be able to avoid the Copy Settings Wizard completely ;-)

Thanks,

John

Albert Whatmough

John,

I develop video based training inspirtech.com and the irony is I am trying to show people how to use it.  I have da mazing success with it in the past!  Untimatly, I will also be using it so my students have a solidworks envoirnment that matches the one they see in teh video.

I am attempting to do everything from within SolidWorks 2010.  I have run it.. and been running it for some time.    I merly unistalled 09 and upgraded to sp0 to see if that was the issue.

I do VERY much apprciate the time you are taking to help with this BTW!!!!

AL

Chris Sonon

If you already have 2010 setup the way you want it, why don't you verify that your registry settings are correct by bypassing the 'Copy Settings Wizard' altogether.

• Close Solidworks
                                              • Open Registry Editor (Start > Run > Regedit)
                                              • Locate HKEY_Current_User\Software\Solidworks\Solidworks 2010
                                              • Right click > Export
                                              • Save as .reg file
                                              • Move .reg to other machine
                                              • Right click > Merge
                                              • Test

Solidworks Copy Settings Wiard does essentially the same thing but limits the information in the .sldreg file (which by the way can be renamed to .reg and mereged identically as above) to the areas you choose in the wizard.

Some people don't recommend my method, but as a VAR support rep I have been using it for years and have not had issues with it. Just be careful if you are not familiar with regedit.

God Bless,

Chris

John Sweeney

>using it so my students have a solidworks envoirnment that matches the one they see in teh video.

OK, so please run SW 2010 again.  Then close it.   Now run the Copy Settings Wizard again and use the "Save Settings" option to generate a new .sldreg file.  You can then share the .sldreg file to all the machines where the students want to see the same UI and settings.

If this doesn't work, then we'll need to dig deeper.

Thanks,

John

Jeremy Feist

so what would digging deeper entail? we are experiencing the same/similar issue here - copy settings wizard not copying all settings to the file.

SW 2010 sp1.0 windows xp 32.

thanks,

John Sweeney

Hi Jeremy,

Have you run and then closed SolidWorks 2010?  If this machine has older versions of SolidWorks on it, which version of the Copy Settings Wizard are you running? Can you open the regedit program and go to the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/SolidWorks/SolidWorks 2010" node and see if there is any data in that key (specifically look for the "User Interface" node)?

Thanks,

John

Charles Culp

Jeremy,

I ran into problems again. I exported my settings at work (SW2010 SP0), then tried to import them at home (SW2010 SP1). Wouldn't give me any options, and it made it seem like it was not a valid file, although there were no warnings or anything.

I got it to work by editing the file by hand (in a text editor). I removed all entries pointing to our work server (recently saved files, drawing templates, etc).  Then I saved it, and renamed the .sldreg file to a .reg file. A double click on that runs the Windows Registry Editor and imports all the registry settings.

Note that there are no warnings, so you have to realize that this will overwrite any existing registry entries as well.

John Sweeney

Hi Charles,

Thanks.  This is a good lead.  Let me take a look and see if I can reproduce the problem if a network location isn't available on saving or restoring of your settings.

-John

Jeremy Feist

FYI - I had submitted this to our VAR and it went to Solidworks and is now in SPR land.

I could reproduce the problem on my computer with the registry you have attached. The problem appears to be registry specific as I could not reproduce the same behavior with default registry.

The workflow I followed

1) Renamed previous registry

2) Loaded ‘solidworks.reg’ by double clicking it

3) Used copy settings wizard 2010 > saved setting > a file saved was of size 3 KB.

I am submitting this issue to development team. The reference number for this issue is SPR 534979 (Summary: - Copy Setting Wizard not working correctly with attached registry). You will be notified when this issue has been resolved

The only workaround I can suggest is to export the registry manually. To perform it go to Registry editor (Start > Run > type ‘regedit’ > enter) > ) HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > SolidWorks > 2010 > RMB > Export > save.

John Sweeney

Hi Jeremy,

Using the registry info you submitted with this SPR, I can reproduce the problem... I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,

John

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

The Copy Settings Wizard is failing to export your SolidWorks 2010 settings because the registry key name has a lower case "w":

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\...

SolidWorks\Solidworks 2010]

The key should be named:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\...

SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010]

You can "fix" the issue by renaming the key with the expected "SolidWorks 2010" name.  Note, I needed to rename it to "SolidWorks 2010_temp" and then to "SolidWorks 2010" because the registry didn't recognize the case change as an actual name change, so it doesn't let you rename it directly to "SolidWorks 2010".

Anyway, the real question is how did several of you get a registry name with a lower case "w"?  Since it happened to a few of you, I'm guessing it is something on our side due to a SP upgrade, Copy Wizard Settings action or a hotfix patch, etc.  However, we just tested a clean-machine install and I've done some Copy Settings tests and we can't reproduce the incorrect key name.  I also don't see anything in our code that would use "Solidworks" as the key name.

Those of you seeing this issue, can you tell me the following:

1.  Is the local machine key also using the lower case "w"... see regedit folder for:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\...

SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2010]

2. Have you manually renamed or manipulated the registry where you may have mistakenly re-typed the key name with a lowercase "w"?

3. Related to your 2010 install process and Service Packs, etc. have you done anthing "unique" that may be causing this for you but not everyone... For example, perhaps you ran Copy Setting Wizard to restore 2009 settings into 2010 before running SolidWorks 2010???   I'm throwing some darts here to see if anything hits...

We will also update the "Copy Settings Wizard" utility so it ignores this case sensitivity.

Thanks,

John

Message was edited by: John Sweeney

Jeremy Feist

my registry had the lowercase w, for both the top level Solidworks node and the Solidworks 2010 node.

no I haven't done any manual edits in the registry (up until now anyway )

and no custom installs that I am aware of - we don't have install privilages, have to wait for IT to do it.

reg1-13-10.bmp

Albert Whatmough

Perfect...That did it for me!  Thanks.

I also have done nothing odd besides running BETA.... and I didn't clean the registry before installing SP0.... maybe beta but the Solidworks 2010 in and then SP0 just went with it..... just a thought.  Anyway, I am glad to have the issue resolved!

Al

Craig Pretty

I have had the same issue with my installation (now SP2).  Copy settings wizard only copies system options.

I have the lowercase 'w' and have had the same problems.  It has been on one machine only though.

Here is another hint maybe.  This happened on the machine that used the downloaded SP0 files rather than that supplied on Disc.

The downloaded version was from 30/11/09.

I also happened to open solidworks while the registry name had the 'temp' filename.  This created a new regkey with the upper case 'W'.

Cheers,
                                                                                Craig
                                                                                Jeremy Feist

SPR has been "implemented" - in 2011...

The following SPR (SolidWorks Performance Report) status has changed to Implemented.

SR# (Service Request): 1-1479997797

SPR#: 534979

Description: Copy Setting Wizard not working correctly with attached registry

Status: Implemented.

Version: 2011 A1

For more information, visit the SolidWorks Customer Portal and select My SPRs.

Best Regards,

Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp. Technical Support