11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 2:33 PM by Ron Bates

Realview - Applied materials turn black

Adam Meyer

Occasionally, I get some parts turning black when I have realview turned on.  I've attached an example of a stainless steel ball bearing that has turned black.

A Solidworks restart (including killing SLDWORKS.exe) seems to fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Adam

• Re: Realview - Applied materials turn black
          Chris Sonon

Adam,

Try setting your user settings back to default and see if it helps.

• Close Solidworks
          • Open Registry Editor (Start > Run > regedit.exe)
          • Nagivate to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Solidworks\Solidworks ####
            • #### =  Release Year
          • Right click and rename to have a "_" at the end
          • Launch Solidworks and test

Let me know if this does or doesnt' help in resolving this.

God Bless,

Chris

Ron Bates

Hi Adam,

This could be an issue with resources (system memory or graphics card memory), or your driver.  Need more information to know for sure.

- What graphics card and driver are you currently running with?

- What OS?

- Are you running with the /3GB switch enabled?

Ron

Adam Meyer

XP x64

Core2 Quad Q6600

4GB RAM

ATI FireGL V5600 - Driver:8.543.0.0

I doubt the 3GB switch is enabled.

Ron Bates

Hi Adam,

That all sounds pretty good.  So a few more questions...

Is it 2008 or 2009?

How long would you say you run SolidWorks before this occurs?

Do you leave SolidWorks running all the time (even at night)?

How many different documents might you have open typically when this occurs?

You said you have to "kill SolidWorks", is that because trying to exit will leave the process running behind?

Ron

Adam Meyer

- 2009 SP4.1

- I can't say for sure.  Sometimes it happens fairly early in a solidworks session.

- no, I often close Solidworks when I'm finished

- I usually don't have antthing else open

- yes, sometimes sldworks.exe keeps running even though I've closed solidworks.

Chris Sonon

Try disabling hardware acceleration (just for testing) to see if it helps the issue.

• Right click your desktop
                            • Select Properties
                            • Settings tab
                            • Advanced button
                            • Troubleshooting tab
                            • Slide bar to none.

You may be running a certified setup, but that doesn't mean you can't have issues with the driver. If the above helps eliminate the problem I would look at doing a clean uninstall of the graphics driver using DriverCleaner.

God Bless,

Chris

Ron Bates

Disabling hardware acceleration will disable RealView, and actually force SolidWoks to run in Software OpenGL.  And the problem Adam is having is specific to using RealView.

Adam, have a look at your settings in the ATI Catalyst Control Center.  Under "3D", make sure nothing special is selected.  More specifically for the folowing settings:

Standard Setttings - Use custom settings should be UNCHECKED

Anti-Aliasing - Use application settings should be CHECKED

Adaptive Anti-Aliasing - UNCHECKED

Anisotropic Filtering - Use application settings CHECKED

Also, Adam, does the issue seem specific to some shaders (materials/appearances) or do you think it happens with any RealView appearance applied?

Adam Meyer

Ron,

I don't have the CCC installed, just the driver.  The issue seems to apply only to metal shaders, not plastic.

Ron Bates

Hi Adam,

I would recommend a complete un-install, and re-install of the ATI driver.  I guess you'll need your IT to do this??  While all driver software these days should be as easy to install/update as any software package, I find that with card drivers, it's safest to do a true, clean, old-fashioned update.  By this, I mean:

- Uninstall your existing driver through Add/Remove programs

- restart the system, even if not prompted to do so

- Ignore/cancel any messages from Windows about recognizing new hardware and wanting to install drivers when you come back into Windows.

- You should be running in plain old VGA mode, probably 800x600 with no option to change it.

- Now install the latest driver listed on our certification page (the one you currently have)...and I'd recommend installing the CCC software, as you'll then be able to check settings as described earlier.

- restart the system again, even if not prompted to do so.

- now set up your resolution as desired, and have at it again.

-Ron