11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 6:47 PM by Brian Dalton

Rights Issues

Ajay Baranwal

hi,

i am facing a problem in giving the rights to users.

I have a Workflow which have many states. Details of states from starts are

1- New enquiry

2- Enquiry under approval

3- Job feasibility

I have a user named ‘user1’ who has only read rights on state Enquiry under approval. It means if file will present in mentioned state then only it will be visible to ‘user1’. But in my case when I use this login, ‘user1’ is able to see the files in all the states except ‘New enquiry’. 

(all the states is visible to this user which present in the history of the files)

Please guide where I am missing somthing................

Thanks

Ajay Baranwal

• Re: Rights Issues
          Ajay Baranwal

hello every one,

Just spend some valuable time and suggest me how to do this??

Thanks

Chris Sonon

Ajay,

Remember that permissions are a combination of folder/project permissions and workflow state/transition permissions. It sounds like you have permissions set to allow the user to 'read' the file contents (i.e. properties) in the workflow state(s) correctly. Remember the user will still see the files as active if you have 'show working versions' set in the folder/project permissions. If you don't have this set the items will show gray.

To really be able to assist you, export the workflow and attach to a post so that we can load it into a test vault and review.

God Bless,

Chris

Ajay Baranwal

Dear Chris,

Please find the attached Workflow.cex and user.cex.

It contains default workflow with two users named “admin” and “ajay1”.

User “ajay1” has only the read rights on the state “Under editing” then why he is able to see the files that have been crossed this mentioned state??

Please suggest if am I doing some mistakes in that………

Chris Sonon

Ajay,

For some reason none of the user permissions came across for the user. Can you go into the user screen and capture a screen shot for each of the workflow states and ZIP them up and provide them. Also do this for the project/folder permission screen where the files are that you are working with.

Here is an example of the screen shots I am looking for.

Untitled.png

Ajay Baranwal

Hi chris,

Please find the attachement.

Except these permission, user "ajay1" have no permission on any of the state as well as on any of transitions.

I know i am missing somthing. Please guide.......

Chris Sonon

Ajay,

Based on what you show, you should see the file (normally) in every state, regardless of the 'read' status on the state. This is because you have show working versions selected. If you uncheck this the items will always appear 'grayed out'. This is expected behavior for what you have selected.

What is the ultimate end goal that you want to achieve? This way I can guide you to setting it up correctly.

God Bless,

Chris

Joy Garon

Hi Ajay/Chris -

If you have Read File Contents set for a state, it means these users will be able to view documents with revisions at this state.

If you add to this, Show working versions of files - this now gives the users the ability to see all versions that have been in this state, regardless of the files current state.

Joy

Chris Sonon
                                      Yep, based on what he provided it is acting correctly... The real question is 'what' is he wanting to achieve.
                                          Ajay Baranwal

Hi Chris/Joy

Sorry for late reply.

Whatever Chris ask for my requirment that is

If in attachment, user "ajay1" has only the rights to see the files when it will be in under editing state then why he is also able to see the files which has crossed the state of under editing???

Please recommend what the rights i have to give this user to see the files if it will be in under editing state not in other states files????????

[The requirment is ajay1 only wants to see the files if it will be in under editing state, not in other states]

Thanks

Brian Dalton

Joy Garon wrote:

If you have Read File Contents set for a state, it means these users will be able to view documents with revisions at this state.

I'm afraid I don't understand this at all.  When you say 'revisions', do you mean 'versions'?  We have many files that have never been released to any revision, but are still visible to our read only users.

Conversely, if you mean versions, every file has versions at every state it's been in, doesn't it?  I'm just not clear what you mean by 'revisions(versions?) at this state'.

Joy Garon wrote:

If you add to this, Show working versions of files - this now gives the users the ability to see all versions that have been in this state, regardless of the files current state.

I have found that I have to set 'show working versions of files' for all my users, or else they will not be able to 'see' any files at all.

For instance, I just created the following situation in my test vault.

User1 has 'read file contents' set for the root folder (meaning for all folders).  User1 has no other folder permissions.

User1 has 'read file contents' set for State3 of the workflow.  User1 has no other state permissions in the workflow.

Under these conditions, User1 cannot see any files at all, regardless of the state they are in.  Only when I also give User1 'Show working versions of files' to the folder can User1 actually see any files.

I never thought that this made sense, and I never really understood what 'show working versions' meant, but I found out by experimentation that users needed both Read contents and Working Versions in order to have any access.  Joy's statements above indicate that it should work differently.  Pardon my gross density, but I could really use a complete and careful explanation of all this...