24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 10:01 PM by Pankaj Bir

Slow property manager

Dale Dunn

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I haven't found a solution or even discussion directly about this.

We recently got the go ahead to start using 2009 (about a week before 2010 sp0.0 ). Using the latest or recommended version of the usual culprits, I'm seeing a lag of about 2 seconds in opening the property manager. This affects, dimensions, mates, everything that needs to display a property manager. Once a property manager page is visible, everything is fast.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the property manager sometimes opens to an apparently random width. Don't know if that might be related somehow.

Message was edited by: Dale Dunn

• Re: Slow property manager
          John Sutherland

In 2009 SP0 I see a 30 sec lag on closing the propery manager with the green tick.  It closes immediately using the red cross.  I may well also see a 2 sec lag on opening, but that does not grab my attention as the 30 sec lag does.

I have already rounded up the usual suspects.

Chris Sonon

Since you have just upgraded to 2009, have you verified that you are running a certified system/graphics card combination with the certified driver. As a VAR support rep I have seen non-certified drivers cause all sorts of issues with Solidworks. This is a good place to start, as it could help overall performance.

If you are running the correct driver, or if you install the correct driver and still have issues I would test using default Solidworks user settings to see if this is a culprit. Since you have, I assume, had multiple versions on this machine throughout the machines life, there may be old registry keys/values that are causing the slowness.

Do the following to test:

• Close Solidworks
            • Open Registry editor (Start > Run > Regedit)
            • Locate HKEY_Current_User\Software\Solidworks
            • Right click the folder and rename to have an "_" at the end of it
            • Launch Solidworks and test

Let me know if none of these resolve the issue and we can look at further trouble shooting.

God Bless,

Chris

Dale Dunn

Chris,

Video drivers were downloaded from the link on the certified drivers page. After renaming the registry keys, I can still count between 1 and 2 seconds delay opening a property manager. That's about the same as before.

Thanks for trying.

Chris Sonon

Dale,

Download Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) and run it during the process of opening the property manager. This will allow you to see what is going on when you are selecting this command. It may provide some insight into the slowness. If you need assistance with reading the log, post it to the forum (or I can have you upload it to my FTP).

God Bless,

Chris

Dale Dunn
                        Wow, that thing generates a ton of data. I don't even know what I'm looking for in there.
                            Chris Sonon

Downloading now. I will review and let you know what I find.

God Bless,

Chris

Chris Sonon

Dale,

Open Task Manager and select the processes tab. Click the Image Name header to sort in order. Located HandyThing.exe & Scan2Pc.exe and end both of these processes and test again.

Let me know if it improves any.

God Bless,

Chris

Dale Dunn
                                  No change. Both of those have always been well-behaved in the past. I wondered if you would ask about them.
                                      Chris Sonon

Dale,

Those are the only two processes that are running with Solidworks during the capture process (other than AV, Explorer or other Windows services). When was the last time you performed routine maintenance on your machine? Defrag, Temp Clean up and/or registry cleans?

I guess also I should be asking some more questions here... Are you seeing this on all files? If you create a new file with just an extrude do you see this issue when editing the feature? I see a little delay, but not much, maybe a quarter of a second.

God Bless,

Chris

Dale Dunn

Routine maintenance happens every night: backup and defrag. Temp folders aren't empty, but not out of control. I haven't run ant registry cleaners yet, since this machine is only about 6 months old. I'll give that a whirl just because.

I see this delay everywhere. Simple drawings and models that should be very fast, and assemblies all have about the same delay. The only thing I've seen affect it is running the process monitor. The delay was noticeably longer while capturing events. That, and different property managers have different delays.

I have not yet tried running without the /3GB switch.

Chris Sonon

I'd be interested to see if the 3GB switch affects it. If you test that route let me know.

God Bless,

Chris

Dale Dunn

Interesting. It did affect it, but it didn't fix it. With the /3GB switch, I count almost 2 seconds to get a dimension property manager. Without it I get a bit more than a second, maybe 1.3. I wonder why that would have any impact.

The only other unusual thing about this system is the parallel install with 07. Well, that's all i can think of, anyhow.

Chris Sonon

The parallel installs shouldn't affect it. The machine I was testing on contains 2007,2008,2009 and 2010...

God Bless,

Chris

Dale Dunn

Yeah, it shouldn't. It's the next thing to try. I don't think I need to keep 07 around, and there are some strange version conflict things going on with eDrawings, so I think a clean install of just 09 is in order. I need to force myself to try the new interface stuff anyway.

After that (and barring any better ideas), I'll have ot try doing something drastic to the system. I don't have time to ferret out what specific thing might be causing this. Any chance my regular VAR will have any better ideass than what we've tried?
                                                              Chris Sonon

That really depends on who your VAR is. At the least I would have them push it to Solidworks as an SR. If you are in the southeast and are a ModernTech Mechanical customer then call in to support and request me and I can perform further troubleshooting with you on a remote session.

God Bless,

Chris

Mark Matthews

This is an interesting discussion as I have noticed not only property manager lags, but even a particular sketching lag in 2009 versus 2008. I had posted earlier about the fuzziness (visual fuzziness) of the property manager for the Delete Face command wihich Jim Wilkerson attributes to SW starting to implement a new windows menu protocol. Not only is the property manager fuzzy, but it takes a significant amount of time to pop up when invoked. There are other property managers displaying the same issues.

But I also see a significant lag in sketcher when using the pop-up "convert to contruction" button to change a line to a construction line. There is no property manager involved. In 2008 this is instantaneous (the experience anyway) but in 2009 this lags for about 2 seconds and while not a show stopper, slows down the work.

Anna Wood

Mark,

This is the way it was explained to me by a few SW people, it has been written about here on the forums a while ago I am sure.

Certain features of SW require DLL's to be loaded.  SW has a choice, load every possible DLL a user might need no matter if they use them or not.  SW will launch slower but all the features would load much quicker, you would be using unneeded system resources on DLL's you do not use.

Or SW could load DLL's as needed, SW would load quicker, more resources would be available for modeling, etc.  The downside is that when you first launch a feature that needs a specific DLL it will have a few second lag loading the DLL into the system RAM.  After that for the SW session those features will launch quickly because the DLL is already loaded.

SW took the second path and that is most likely what you are seeing.

Cheers,

Anna

Dale Dunn

Anna,

I'm used to that with things like the hole wizard. There is a definite pause the first time I edit or create a hole. The delay I'm having trouble with happens every time I open any particular property manager. Once that property manager is open, it's fast. Close it, and there is a lag when I open it again. All within the same session of SW.

I'm also having trouble with the running out of desktop resources error (already tried the heap size reg hack), Excel 2007 and some video glitches. All of this combined has me waiting for the next opportunity to rebuild this system and see if it helps. So far, the only thing that has had a positive impact has been to run without the /3GB switch, which seems to have stabilized the video. (You'd think a QuadroFX 580 would work in that environment...) If all those symptoms give somebody an idea for something else to try, I'm listening.

Anna Wood

Dale,

I seem to recall that on some of the property managers that SW is using some different Windows code then in the past for controlling those parts of the GUI.  Jim Wilkenson has talked about it in the last 6 months on occasion.  I wonder if there is a link there between the newer Windows code and the slowness you are seeing.

FWIW,

Anna

Kelvin Lamport
                                                        Are you using the /USERVA=2900 modifier in combination with the /3GB switch?
                                                            Dale Dunn

No, I have never used /USERVA before. I had no trouble while running SW 2007 with the /3GB switch. Apparently, 09 is doing some things differently with the video. I spent the last couple days without the /3GB switch and the video largely behaved. If I find life is too much hassle without it, I'll look into using /USERVA and see if that's better.

Property managers are slow either way. I haven't checked Excel's behavior without /3GB yet.

Wayne Tiffany

When I did all that testing years ago, I found that I eventually ran into Windows system issues unless I pulled back from taking the whole 3Gb, hence the user value setting.  Basically I kept pulling back little by little until I basically stopped having issues.

WT

Dale Dunn

Just an update:

Formatting the drive and rebuilding cleared whatever the problem was. Too bad I never figured out the actual issue.

Pankaj Bir

Dear Dale,

Virus Buddy VIRUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pankaj Bir