3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 4:01 PM by Jeff Sweeney

Searching more than one folder.

Jason Capriotti

Is there a way to filter the search path such that it searches more than one folder location.

We have production PDF files and archived pdf files. I'm thinking about putting them into two different root folders. What I would like to do is create a search card with a checkbox option that searches the "archive" only if checked.

Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way. Currently they are all together.....I'm only considering spliting them up to shorten the search time. 99% of the time, people don't want or need to see the archived files. So I thought I would maybe remove them.

• Re: Searching more than one folder.
          Adrian Connard

Hi Jason,

I don't believe that it is possible to search more than one location, however there are a couple of other solutions to the problem:

1. There is a control on search forms called Search sub-folders recursively. Its connected to a check box on the standard "Complete Search Form" called "Search Sub-Folders". If you move the archive files to a sub folder, you can change the name of the control to "Include Archived Files". By checking the box, it will search the sub-folder, and thus the archived files, unchecked, it wont.

2. Another option would be to use a simple workflow with two states, Production and Archive. Move the archive files to the archive state and use the workflow state control on the search form to restrict results to Production files.

Hope this helps,

Adrian Connard

Jason Capriotti

There are too many folders and sub folders already that the files are in....so if I uncheck that option....nothing will get returned.

They are in different states...problem is I have 4 states that the files are in I want to show all except those in the "Archived" state. I haven't figured out a way to search on those "not equal" to "Archived".

I tried adding a variable "IsArchived" and applied it to all files in the "archived" state, then added it to the search card. It works fine and removes the "archived" version from the search results. Problem is the search takes 3x-4x longer when the option is checked.

Jeff Sweeney

This one is a long shot but....The report generator is capable of accepting input. Perhaps you could have the generator ask the directories you wish to search on and thus provide a report rather than a search result?

(The generator even supports a GUI to select the directory, so selecting the directory wouldn't be too painful.)