49 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 8:34 PM by Mike Puckett

CSWP Help for the Exam

James Preston

I am going to take the CSWP exam soon .

Is there anyone  out there that can give me some advice about what is on the test?

And or what to study?

Thanks

• Re: CSWP Help for the Exam
          Troy Peterson

Have you taken the sample test yet?

Do a search for exam and or cswp on the forum and you will find plenty of helpful hints.

Jason Raak

hi james,

check out this blog. there is a series of posts going on right now about taking the cswp exam.  hope this helps!

http://www.3dengr.com/

Brian Long

The blog is spot on. I took part 1 a few days ago and part 2 yesterday, passed both. I am going to take part 3 sometime today I think. I did think that they went a little far with the images, shows a little to much info about the test I think, but all in all very good info.

Brian

James Preston
                    Brian how long have you been using SW and what classes have you attended for SW? I have been using SW since 05 version and I teach it to Cad/Cam/CNC classes.
                        Brian Long

25673 wrote:

Brian how long have you been using SW and what classes have you attended for SW? I have been using SW since 05 version and I teach it to Cad/Cam/CNC classes.

James,

I have been using SW for only a few years, mabe since the 06 release. I have my Associates Degree in CAD and I have taken the advanced modeling class that one of the VARs in my area offers. I attended SWW last year and learned quiti a bit there by asking questions regarding the test.

James Preston

Well did you pass the CSWP Exam?

Can you give me some insight. On what do look for?

Deepak Gupta

James,

I just completed all the 3 segments of the new CSWP exam (2 last week and 1 today) and got the full score.

Few thing/tips to clear the exam:

1. Read the question carefully and twice.
                                2. If you are using copy and paste option for putting answers in the columns, make sure you don't add any extra space at end or beginning.
                                3. Use of design table/ Link Values/ Equation is must to save time.
                                4. You can zoom the tester window to full screen as well as use magnifier glass to zoom in.
                                5. Make sure you set the right material and unit system.

Best of luck.

James,

Not sure if you've taken it yet but good luck.

www.3DENGR.com is my site I started to go through a few things while taking advantage of the ESP. To Brian, I realize the pictures show some detail but the test changes styles/values a lot and similar images can be found elsewhere and through the sample test.

Most of my prep was done through these forums, youtube videos, MyIgetIt.com, but most importantly the solidworks tutorials themselves. I had taken the exam once before and failed, at the time though I think it was because I didn't take time to prep my setup. Once I opened the test my "Tools>Options" was somehow disabled and I was unable to change from inches>mm as a default. It left me doing a lot of manual conversion which I believe caused me ruonding erros. This is why I made a point to highlight the fact that so much of the test can be done BEFORE the clock starts. Many long time users can quickly sketch/extrude/cut which is the basis of the test but building a model so with design intent that is easily altered goes a long way, not only for the CSWP but in practice (which is why I feel the test is worthwhile and does prove a skill set).

I just started a new job and have convinced them to buy a SW seat (the ESP paid off for Dassault) and will be going through the sheetmetal and surfacing tests soon. Check out 3Dengr.com for those as well.

Of course I'd be remiss to not mention all the other great blogs out there that have hours of video tutorials, walk throughs, tips and tricks. Most you can find through blogrolls but I'd suggest starting with Jason Raak's. http://rocksolidperspective.com/

Jason McCrory

I took the CSWP on Saturday (all 3 segments) and passed sections 1 and 2. I missed the 3rd by 5 points (one question) and I think I know what happened... The 3 (out of 13) questions I missed were the last three questions, and I believe that it was a single dimensioning mistake on question 10 that caused me to get incorrect answers on Q12 and Q13 (They build on each other).

I had myself pretty worked up over the test - I should have allowed myself more time between sections and taken a few minutes to relax. Some tips I picked up...

• Set up templates in advance... We use some specific settings in our documents at work  - Setting up a part template with MMGS as the default system with precision set to 2 decimal places saved a ton of time for me on section 1 especially. I also set up an assembly template and some  imperial based ones (though none of the questions on my test used imperial measurements).
                          • Create a folder on your desktop that you can quickly and easily access to save files to. Hunting for your save folder wastes valuable time - you can move your working folder to a final location later.
                          • Save, Save, Save, Save, Save, Save, and Save again. After every question "save as". ESPECIALLY the ones that ask you to modify a part you did in a previous question. This way if you mess up, you don't have to cover quite so much ground again...
                          • I wouldn't take the test all in one sitting if I could help it.
                          • Don't be afraid of the help file.
                          • Jot down your answers on a scratch pad - at least the "fill in" answers. I went back to review my answers, and accidently hit the "reset question" button.... Que panic attack. Fortunately I had saved the heck out of everything I did and was able to fill in the answer again.... but I still wrote down my answers from that point forward.
                          • Pay close attention to what's on screen. I halfway felt like I was playing "Where's Waldo?" with alot of the modeling. Dimensions for single features were spread across multiple views of a model, and you can only look at one view at a time. Finding all of the parameters for a particular feature may involve flipping through two or more views.
                          • Name your features. Keep track of changes you make.
                          • Re-use as much geometry as you can - be comfortable with making adds/moves/changes/subtractions with your models.

As far as study topics:

• Part modeling - I used almost every sketch tool and major feature tool in all three sections (with the exception of sketch patterns).
                          • Design intent - A great deal of the skill involved is your ability to interpret and predict the possible changes you'll have to make to a model.Take a minute at the start of a section to cruise the questions and get an idea of what you'll have to do - this will make it easier to plan the work.
                          • Changes - get comfy with making changes. Especially to models you haven't touched. Know how to re-order featuers and what this will do to the model. I would suggest getting a friend or two to model up some stuff for you, and then make changes to the models.
                          • Know and love the roll back bar.
                          • Get friendly with setting up reference geometry and a new coordinate system - the coordinate system is a "deal breaker" for section 3. Question1 requires you to set up a coordinate system, and the rest of that section relies on that system for it's answers.
                          • Get fast with assembly mates - learn shortcuts
                          • Design tables are your friend.
                          • Linked values are imperative.
                          • Equations are touched on, but not heavily.
                          • Get familiar with assembly tools liek interference detection - despite considerable experience with assemblies, I've had little occaision to use this tool, and I could have saved LOTS of time had I known it better.

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, and practice some more.

But above all... RELAX - as I understand it you can take sections over again if you fail them at no charge (I think). You have to wait 2 weeks between tries... so 2 weeks from today I'll be a CSWP!

Good Luck!

Jeff Holliday

Sorry to hear you didn't pass all 3 parts this time. You have good suggestions and I'm sure the next time will go fine for you.

Retaking the individual part will not be free, but it will be a reduced cost - I think roughly 1/3 of the original price unless you have some special arrangements worked out.

Jason McCrory
                                  Yup - 33$ for a retake of one section... not too bad, I suppose - considering it could have been $100.
                                      Basil Gello

I am getting prepared for a CSWP-CORE exam too.

While doing a Seg1 sample from SW website I noticed the exact mass of the part differs from the right answer in +/-0.01 gram.

I heard about it here on the forums, but I want to know exactly - if I specify the mass as it is given in SW, and it differs on that value, will the computer accept the answer as right?

Also there is a BIG trouble with the tasks from CSWP2008 sample - I modeled two models and NONE of them gave me the exact mass! Can somebody check the model 2.2 that I created to clarify why the mass differs from the answer in the section on 7 grams?!

Thanks in advance!

Basil

Deepak Gupta

Basil,

Your part is in SW2010 and hence I'm unable to open it

Basil Gello

Deepak,

I found an error in my features... just wrongly placed a dimension so everything is OK... the mass is really the same it supposed to be!

Thank you for your intension to help and time wasted on that file!

Deepak Gupta
                                                  No problems Basil, I'm rather happy that you resolved the issue yourself
                                                      Basil Gello

Deepak,

are there any "text" questions in CSWP exam now? I haven't seen them in CSWP 2009 sample, but there were three in the CSWA exam I passed five days ago with 100 points of 100 So I want to do the same trick with CSWP, and I want to know what can be covered in the text section.

EDIT: The question of mass tolerance is still open. Friendly speaking I feel myself anxious about that .01 grams while performing a test

Deepak Gupta

Basil,

Check out this blog to have an insight on the new CSWP core test http://www.3dengr.com/

Basil Gello

Deepak,

I read carefully all the entries from Christopher's blog related to CSWP, and found them quite informative. But anyway there was nothing about theoretical questions and tolerancing, so I felt it necessary to ask these queations here. Anyway thanks for a tip.

Jason McCrory

I took the exam about a week and a half ago -

There were multiple choice questions and "type-in" answers that wanted direct values - ie. "What is the mass of the part in Grams?" and the answer was "187.26"

Read the question carefully to find out how they want the answer  - in the design notes they'll give you the settings to use (ie. "Units=mmgs" "Decimal places=2").

I nailed the first segment with a perfect score. I can tell you with certainty that of all of the practice models I did in preparation, I was always +/- 0.01-0.03 on the mass. If it's modeled correctly, you shouldn't have a problem. Screenshot the questions if you have time, then if you do have trouble, you can go back and try to find your mistakes...

If I had a gripe about the test in general... It'd have to be that you get very little feedback on wrong answers. I'd like to know what I did wrong so I can be sure to bone up on it for next time.

Good Luck!!

Basil Gello

Jason,

thanks for the tips. Today I will have a rest and tomorrow I will try to pass the exam.

I will make the screenshots of the questions and make a report if I pass the exam.

Basil Gello

Today I have passed Segment 1 and Segment 2 of CSWP exam... and there are lots of impressions - positive and negative.

The first section I did in the morning after a cup of tea. It took me 89 minutes. The initial part looked rather simple, but I spent 30 minutes to get it done. The next questions were one-pass ones, but the last set of modifications was quite complicated, so I played a race with the client and hit the End Exam button in seconds before it closed. Bam!!! 115 out of 115! Nice score!

After a short break and solving problems with Microsoft Excel and Design Table I started Section 2. The first impression was - "how many questions!!!" And there were all "type-in" answers, NO multi-choice! But the modifications went well, except of the ending of an exam THAT WAS STOLEN BY A CLIENT! I don't know what it was - a bug of my OS, a bug of server-side or the hand of destiny, but in a couple of seconds after the slider showed 4 minutes remaining I got the message "Your time is up!" and I got only 135 of 155... This part frustrated me a bit.

Tomorrow I am going to pass Section 3. I want to check the requirements for it so I need your opinion!

Deepak Gupta
                                                                        The best thing I will suggest to keep your cool and read the question properly and check all the pictures. There are information in the pictures which people might miss out. So read the question properly and do check all the pictures. And make sure you make the coordinate system properly.
                                                                            Basil Gello

Thanks Deepak for the advice, it is really cool and helpful

Today I have scored 190 points on Segment 3 and became a Certified SolidWorks Professional!

I can post an archive with my models for the next generations of passers if goes not violate the terms of the exam.

Deepak Gupta

Congrats..

Basil sorry to say but sharing the models/data will violate the terms of the exam. Also that may not be fair thing to do

Basil Gello

Deepak,

okay... I don't want to do unfair things

Now I am looking for an extended description of CSWP-SMTL - I feel that I can pass it too, because we use lots of brackets and pegs made of sheet metal. I have downloaded the sample, but only the Primary part is described there (4 questions in 30 minutes). So why the duration of this exam is 2 hours? Maybe you know what is next to that part?

Jeff Holliday

Basil,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the purpose of these tests are to measure the ability of a person's knowledge of how to use the product, not the ability of a group of people to teach someone how to do it. Most of us have had various problems in taking/interpreting the tests and are more than willing to address those concerns. There is a line that, when crossed, the help becomes an unfair advantage in keeping future test-takers from succeeding on their own merits.

Andy Kirkpatrick

I also took the sample exam.  Except for the first question my answers were off between 0.01-0.04 grams...

What gives?

Mickey Dorsey

I've been waiting patiently to see how far this discussion would go and Jeff Holliday finally stopped it at the right place.  For those of us who took the 8 hour CSWP exam and paid big money for it (I took it the first time and failed it and it cost me $600),  I look at the evolution of the exam with wonder and disappointment.  From 8 hours to 3 hours on line and now to 3 separate sections on line for free, and everybody wanting to know the answers ahead of time, what happened to the requirement of using the software long enough to find out all the pitfalls and struggle through the questions that tested your ability to think?

For goodness sakes, why don't you all get into a room and take the exam together so you can share the answers?  You want to be certified as a professional user?  Then use the product long enough to be good with it and have enough confidence to take the test without having people post pictures of the problems and discuss the answers.  This has turned into a mail order diploma mill.

Good for you Jeff.  I'm afraid I don't have the patience and diplomacy to sweet talk all these freeloaders.

Basil Gello

Mickey,

if one has to work with anything long enough to become a God without any help, what is this forum then for? Discussing problems is the way of sharing knowledge, that is the way of producing new knowledge as well. Personally I use SW for 6+ years, day-to-day, and I took this test myself (without anybody sitting near me or sharing the answers). Of course, I read the blogs and did some training just to check on how fast can I perform if necessary, but dividing people on "oldish" and "freeloaders" is not the best approach in collaboration, IMHO.

P.S.: Sorry if I answered to you while your answer was not on my post, but anyway my $.05

Message was edited by: Basil Gello

Akrum Al-Homoud

Nice ...

can I make one silly question??

how much the CSWP cost??

what is th method to do the payment..

regards

Mickey Dorsey

I agree 100% that sharing some information is a great way to learn.  But sharing screen shots of exam problems and discussing which problem gave what trouble is down right cheating.  It's not just these discussions on this blog, but other sites I see where people are blatently making screen shots of problems and discussing detailed lists of what to prepare for.  Congratulations on taking the exam on your own and doing your own research.  That's not what I'm seeing time and again with these blogs. I'm not a God, but I did earn my CSWP the honest way and I'd just like the Certificate to continue to mean something.  In my opinion, there is way too much help available that should be part of the EXAM, otherwise its not an EXAM.

All the best to you and I do appreciate your comments.

Mickey

What's the point of doing research and then burying it? The information available on blogs (mine included) is readily available plenty of places including in the software (help files), directly from solidworks (there is a sample tests that literally posts a .pdf of the test so why is a screen shot of a randomly selected question with arbitray values an issue?), from VARS and training courses (for a fee), in manuals (also for a fee), and by talking to users at User groups, Solidworks World (the CSWP sessions are always large and informative), or daily at the job.

There is no replacement for actually being able to complete the tasks in the time required. Even with all of the resources available the passing rate for this exam is still extremely low. I take issue with the idea that searching out these resources is not an "honest" way to pass the test. Is paying your VAR $800 honest. Is doing your job for 2 years "honest". Following the tutorials provided in the software? Reading the provided material (provided by solidworks)... honest? Buying a book from Amazon?

Mickey, you seem to advocate that there should be LESS help for the exam and learning the software. The evolution of the test is understandably frustrating for users who spent 8hours and $600 but then again the product has changed vastly since 2004. I support the ongoing evolution of this certification process and hope that in the future even more material is available to facilitate learning and understanding such a powerful and complex software.

Jason McCrory

I saw mention of "sharing screenshots" in this thread and I want to clarify something....

I screenshotted my test (the ones I had time to screenshot) so that if I missed questions, I could go back and analyze what I had done wrong. I have not, and will not ever share these shots (after passing the test - since I no longer needed them - I deleted them) Having said that - sharing the screens would be useless given the randomization inherent in the test (as has already been stated).

This does lead me to my primary (one and only that I can think of) complaint regarding the test... the complete lack of feedback. I wasn't able to screen the test I failed, but I suspect I know what happened - I'd sure like to be bale to look over the questions i got wrong so I could determine if I made a simple (stupid) error - or if I genuinely fell short of the bar because I didn't know what I was doing (I strongly doubt that). I think most people would agree that at least as much knowledge is gained by analyzing mistakes as it is by 'blindly' studying a laundry list of topics.

So Mike, any way you could swing a little "What you did wrong"  feedback for the test?

Deepak Gupta
                                                                                    Jason, not sure if you know this. Login in to your virtual tester account and click on the certificate and it will show the correct % per question. So this can give you an idea as which of the question went wrong.
                                                                                        Jason McCrory

Oh I know which questions I got wrong - I dug deep to find whatever I could to see where I went wrong....

The "percentage" thing is very misleading... My guess is that the Tangix client is capable of displaying percentages (it's used for more than just the SWX exams), so that's how it's done - but the CSWP answers are either right or wrong, you get either 100% on each question or 0%.

Here's what happened...

The test questions build on one another... sometimes right from the start, sometimes in groups of three or four at a time. The correct answer for question 5 requires that you did everything right for the first four questions - one could argue that this isn't really a fair way to do it but that's not my point...

The test that I failed was segment 3 - assemblies. I consider my skills strongest at assemblies (90% of my daily work is moderate to large assembly modeling), so I was a bit upset that this was the test I failed. The three questions I got wrong were the last three, the first of which required me to model a small, simple part and put it in my assembly. Then I had to give the center of mass of the assembly in each of the remaining questions after moving the assembly around and re-mating some things. I think I made a simple (stupid) mistake on that little connecting arm by misreading a dimension placement.... that would be enough to throw off the other questions. If I could take a glance at that part again, I'd know for sure, and be a little more careful next time. Since the remaining questions were fairly trivial, this is the only thing I can think of - but I won't know for sure without being able to check. I'm taking the test again either today or tomorrow (after having practiced a bit more) so I guess I'll get some kind of answer that way.

I just hope it doesn't cost me another $33!

Deepak Gupta

Best of luck for that.

I have seen Tangix client showing 75% also which means one was close to something but couldn't achieve it. One of my co worker gave his exam last week and missed 2 questions on segment 2. He was confident enough that what all he has done was correct but don't know which one went wrong. I told him to check which were wrong by logging in to virtual tester and check. then he was able to make out which one was wrong and what mistake he did. But luckily he was able to get through by getting the minimum passing scores.

Chad Fehr

Jason, I did the same exact thing....fail segment 3 by 1 question.  Since I saved my answers, if I get the same assembly again I can compare if I did it right or wrong this next take, but now I have to wait the 2 weeks to retake it.  The sad part is I completed segment 3 in 53 minutes out of 80 allowed so that tells me one thing.  I was too anxious to complete it and it was very simple (so I thought), but one bluff and bam, like you said it's either 100% or 0% per question.  The part I modeled, must have had some kind of mistake in it and it was a lot easier than the first part so i'm hoping round 2 i'll take my time and review my answers instead of quickly submitting the test.

Dennis Miller
                                                                                      Right on Mickey (and Jeff). I too took the 8 hour exam. It was difficult. I passed it the first time and only missed one question. I have tried the sample test that is now current (part one only) and I'm not saying it is easier, but you don't have 100 questions on a written exam anymore.
                                                                                        Mike Puckett

So I have been watching this thread since it was first posted and didn't want to intrude on a user discussion until I could provide some needed insight.  Given the past few posts, I think now may be a good time.  So let me try to clear up a few things that have been mentioned.

As mentioned the cost of the CSWP exam is $99USD which includes all three(3) segments of the exam.  Once you pass a segment, you do not have to take it again.  If you fail a segment you can go back to the web store and purchase just that segment at a cost of $33USD.  Once all three segments have been passed, they system will automatically issue a certificate for the exam. If a segment is failed, the user must wait 14 days to retake that segment again.  Customers who are currently on subscription get the added benefit of getting one free exam per seat of SolidWorks that's current with subscription.  Our system is set up to monitor that usage in the background and each month we go through and verify the system is not being abused.  In some cases we have revoked certifications where we have found some pretty bad abuses of this offer.

In terms of exam content there is plenty of technology in place to insure a fair exam for everyone.  For example, the first segment of the CSWP exam has over 25 different models that it can randomly select from when setting up your exam.  On top of that, each model has over 300 slight variations to it meaning that you will never get the same exact model.  That being said we certainly can not police the sharing of models but take this into consideration, do you want to use someone else's model when you know there is something different about it, but your just not sure what it is?  You're setting yourself up for failure if you feel you need to cheat in that way.  Even from all the discussions in this thread, nothing has been shared beyond what we would deem unacceptable.  There has been a lot of good insight into what the exam expects, and that's fine.  If something over steps the boundary then we can deal with that separately.

As far as tolerance of answers goes, we do build in some very slight tolerance, but most of the time it is down in the +/- .01 of a gram range.  That is not much, but as someone mentioned above, if you model it correctly, your number should be dead on.  We get submissions from time to time that claim they modeled the part exactly like the exam says, but when we go back and overlay their model with the master model we see the error right away and point that out.  Needless to say the person discovers what they did wrong!

The exact content of what is on the exam is available at this link which pretty much covers the exam.  We do not want to trick or fool people in the exam, we just want to challenge a users knowledge of the software.

Having taken the 8 hour exam myself as a customer (actually twice since I missed it the first time by 3 points) I was a bit confused by the shorter exam when it came out.  After actually taking it I discovered that the exam was not any easier.  In fact the three hour exam actually has a failure rate higher then that of the eight hour exam.  Even when cost and availability are factored in, more people fail the current exam as opposed to the old eight hour exam.

When all is said and done what we are trying to do is produce an exam that is challenging to our users.  We try very hard to maintain the integrity of the CSWP certification, and that is why we are continually updating and revising it.  To date the CSWP population is still below the 10% of our license base and we are fine with that.  We don't have any number goals we have to meet, we don't have to sell a certain number of exams, and we don't have to grow the program at any pre-determined rate.  That kind of independence really allows us to focus on just the content, and trying to deliver the best experience we can, packaged with a tough exam.

I hope that answers some of the lingering questions some of you had, and if not please feel free to contact us at certification@solidworks.com to ask any further questions, or to express any concerns you may have in regards to any of our exams.  Also for those of you that took the eight hour exam and would like to take the new online exam, shoot us an email with my name in the subject and we'll see about getting you set up to take it.  If you pass, your old certificate still remains in your account, so no need to worry about it getting overridden.

Basil Gello

Mike,

thank you for such a ground and detailed answer. Anyway, I have been waiting for your post here to ask the same question I stated here before:

In the sheet metal exam sample, available on SW website, there is a Primary part which takes 20-30 minutes to answer 4 questions. I did them in the means of training. But, the duration of the whole exam is 2 hours. Does it mean that there are more parts not covered in the announce on the website? If yes, do they cover all the features announced or there is something advanced that would be a surprise for the person being tested? Is this a secret information or somewhere it is the guide for passing this exam?

And the second question: will the CSWSP-FEA exam released this year or it will become available in early 2010?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Puckett

Basil,

All of the sample exams are just a sample of part of the complete exam.  My advice would be to cover all the topics listed before moving onto the test. While the sample exams do present some similar stuff you will see in the actual exam, we don't want to give it all away!

The FEA exam is hopefully going to reappear just after the new year.  Because there are only two of us writing exam content, we have to rely on other experts in the company to help us with the exams that cover areas we are just not familiar with.  That area includes Simulation, PDM, tech support, and 3DVIA.  So we basically recruit the talents of one of our Simulation tech support/trainers to write the content for us.  As you may figure he already has lots of projects on his plate so we give him all the time he needs to finish.  As of now the plan is to release the new FEA exam in the first quarter of 2010.

Dustin Biber

Mike,

I am glad to hear about the 25 different models and the 300 variations.  I too was a little concerned about the info that was linked to from this thread.  I was under the impression that the test always used the same model.  I think the randomness of the model selection does a good job to protect the integrity of the exam.

Gil Phillips

Hello, I have a question about the CSWP-Core Sample exam. Segment 1 of the CSWP-Core exam. The Purple part with the 2 cylinders. When I create the initial part for question 1 it turns out correct. But when I move onto question 2 and just need to edit A thru E equations, the answer is always wrong. Then if I change the values back to the original values from question 1 the answer for question 1 is wrong. Has anyone had this happen to them. Don't understand why. Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

Mike Puckett

Gil,

The bigger concern I would have between those two issues is how your model weighs a different amount when you go back to the original design. Especially if you're using configurations!  In the actual exam we allow a tolerance for variance in the model, but it is small (1%-3%). The exams are designed in a way that your first answer on a model will be multiple choice so as to let you know if you're on the right track. I've recently modeled the part from the sample exam and was able to match the answer exactly.

If you like, feel free to send us the model and the CSWP exam author can look it over and let you know where your mistake is.  Send it to: certification@solidworks.com

Twaka Tyus
                                                                                                  develop some sort of "check and balance" method and double check your answers...take your time