9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 2:29 PM by Mauricio Martinez-Saez

Graphical Sketch Constraint Selection Crash

Okay, just a quick survey to try and get a handle on a problem.  I have a part (in this case sheet metal, but it's happened on non-sheetmetal parts as well), and I want to edit an existing sketch with my SW 2008 SP5 package.  A few times, not always, but a few times in trying to select a sketch constraint on the graphics screen, there's a dreaded pause in the software which I refer to as an "ohnosecond" (see definition below), and then Solidworks transports to another section of the galaxy.  Now, I've gotten to the point where I've figured out that if I select the line instead of the constraint symbol right next to it, then go to the feature manager window and select the constraint there, life is good.  I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, in an effort to try and determine what to do to fix it as it is somewhat random.

The enclosed part file repeats this error on my computer.  I have a Dell T5400, Xeon 5420 processor, nVidia Quadro FX 1700 display card with approved driver for SW (7.15.11.6956), Vista 64 / 8Gb memory.  If anyone with a similar system has time, please open my part and try editing the "Tab2" sketch as shown on the JPEG file.  Let me know if you have any issues after selecting/deleting the perpendicular constraint in the graphics window.   I've had a lot of grief between this computer and Solidworks, any help is greatly appreciated.

"Ohnosecond"  - The time between pushing the button and realizing you really shouldn't have pushed it! (R. Schneider)

• Re: Graphical Sketch Constraint Selection Crash
          Jerry Steiger

Rich,

I don't usually show sketch constraints, so I figured this might be an opportunity to see how the other half lives. I pulled in your part, opened the sketch, turned on "Sketch Relations" in "View" and clicked on the "Perpendicular3" symbol. Nothing happened. So I double clicked on it. That pulled up the "Display/Delete Relations" manager with "Line4" and "Line2" selected and "Perpendicular3", "Symmetric6" and "Angle2" showing in the relations. Clicking on the line opens up the manager with the two lines selected but only "Perpendicular3" showing. No crash.

My system isn't really like yours. I ran the test in SW08 SP5, but I'm running XP32 with 4GB of memory and the 3GB switch set at 2900. It's a Dell Precision 390, nVidia Quadro FX 550 with approved (6.14.11.6265) driver.

Jerry Steiger

Thanks for the reply, Jerry.  I've been doing 3D CAD since Mechanical Desktop 2.0, and it's been a while since I've had a system as loopy as this one.  I've been working on a fairly complex assembly all afternoon with a lot of editing, no problem.  After saving everything, I pulled that file up, edited it as outlined above (single click only on the perp constraint), and same thing, the program exits leaving only the "Do you want to notify Solidworks?" window up.

If anyone else has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise I guess I'll try and work around it for now.

Jerry Steiger

Rich,

Since it seems to be repeatable, you could try sending it in to your VAR. Do the Rx thing perhaps.

Since you had been working on a fairly complex assembly previous to working on the failing part, perhaps SolidWorks was having some memory issues (although on 64 bit with 8 GB of RAM it doesn't seem like it should). I would try a reboot and see if the part behaves.

Jerry Steiger

Mauricio Martinez-Saez

Rich,

What you desrived is not a behavior we experienced in our daily work... however, from time to time we get the same behavior (we call it "not again please!") doing other things, we observed that the avalanche of "crashes" normally hapen after installing a new piece of software or after making certain change to the configuration of the computer, sometimes even after using another software that use the SQL server or the .NET services, or applications that change certain parameters on the video system.

Apparently SW is very sensitive to what is loaded and working on the machine and sometimes on what you used before loading SW.

Try the following:

Reboot your computer, clean the temp folders (using the SW Rx utility), make sure that your video driver is not "set" to any particular application other that SW, then reboot again and load SW and see it the problem continues, if not, then you will need to identify which one is the application of process that create the problem for SW.

Apparently the people that do the code for SW expect the application to work alone on a machine :-)

Regards,

I've tried rebooting (usually my first step).  I make it a point to try and reboot first thing in the morning as IT wants the PC's on 24/7 for their automatic update schedule. I did the RX maintenance suite, then rebooted and only brought up Solidworks with the same results on that file.  I then went through the Rx procedure this morning and sent it over to my VAR.  I also asked them to "please" look at it as we're a few weeks past our subscription lapse and it would help out A LOT to pitch renewing the subscription if this gets resolved.  It doesn't help when the owner comes by and asks what I'm doing when I'm in the middle of an Rx fillout.

At any rate, thanks for the help.  If I get anywhere on this I'll be sure and post it.  If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it but it sure seems like it's isolated to my PC and software regiment.  Right now the only thing I think that will fix it is a clean install of Win 7 and some version of Solidworks.

Okay, after talking with our VAR, it seems the video driver isn't correct.  But not so fast, take a look at the attached JPEG.  The correct video driver was installed back in February (and checked many times to confirm), but somehow Solidworks (or Photoworks?) is recognizing it as an older driver and acting accordingly which may be causing the problem.  Anyone seen this before?  Should I reload/update Solidworks, do a repair on Photoworks, or try to reinstall the Dell (Nvidia) driver?  Thanks for the help, hopefully this helps someone else out in the future if nothing else.
                                Mauricio Martinez-Saez

Rich,

Assuming you use SW 2008 sp 5.0 the driver (to use with Windows XP) for the nVidia FX1700 is the  version 6.14.11.6262 (you can download it from the SW web), If you are using Windows 7 that OS is not listed as approved for SW 2008 sp 5.0.  Install the driver (make sure you unistall first the present driver you have) and select  the graphics card display settings for SolidWorks (on the driver management window of the nVidia utility).  If that do not work, in case you are using Windows 7, you will need to install an OS that work with the application (Windows XP, Windows XP x64, etc.), unless someone at SW indicate to you that Windows 7 will work with SW 2008 sp 5.0.

We work with SW 2008 sp 5.0 for a long time (now we use SW 2009 sp 4.1) and never have that problem (our video cards are FX4500 and FX4600).

Even though I'm running an nVidia card, my understanding is that I select the the video driver based on the fact that my computer came from Dell.  Since I'm using Vista 64 on a Precision T5400 model, I believe I have the right driver of 7.15.11.6956.  I think you're right on reinstalling the driver.  I suspect that the new one may not have been optimized for SolidWorks in the install and/or the old driver not fully removed correctly.  I'll get with my offsite IT guy to make sure I have the privileges to do the re-install and post an update after catching up on a little work.

Mauricio Martinez-Saez

25430 wrote:

Even though I'm running an nVidia card, my understanding is that I select the the video driver based on the fact that my computer came from Dell.  Since I'm using Vista 64 on a Precision T5400 model, I believe I have the right driver of 7.15.11.6956.  I think you're right on reinstalling the driver.  I suspect that the new one may not have been optimized for SolidWorks in the install and/or the old driver not fully removed correctly.  I'll get with my offsite IT guy to make sure I have the privileges to do the re-install and post an update after catching up on a little work.

We also use DELL computers... the driver recomended by DELL or nVidia not alway is the correct driver for SW (tested and certified), I will advise you to install the driver "certified" by SW (you can find that on SW WEB).  I believe that the driver you need to install is version 7.15.11.8246.  Also, check if your instaled version of SW is compatible with the OS (Vista x64).  We continue using Windows XP Prof. x64 since Vista gave us some problems.