7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 6:04 PM by Lenny Bucholz

fractions for hole callouts in hole table?

Is it possible to somehow get hole callouts to display as fractions in hole tables?  I figured out how to get drilled holes to display as fractions by using <hw-fstsze> but this doesn't work for counterbore hole sizes or any holes created by doing an extrude-cut.  Tech support said it can't be done but I have already partially proven this wrong by using <hw-fstsze>.  I am using SW2008.  Do newer versions have this capability?  Thanks!
        • Re: fractions for hole callouts in hole table?
          Anna Wood

I believe that Tech Support is correct, it can't be done in a way that you will be happy with.

The fractional designation you get with <hw-fstsze> is pulling data from a column in the hole wizard database that lists the number, letter or fractional drill size.  It is not doing any converting of decimal to fractional on the fly.

Newer versions work the same way.

Cheers,

Anna

Lenny Bucholz
              there is a way you just need to set the drawing units to fractions
                  Kieran Choy

Options > Document Properties > Units > IPS > Click in the Fractions cell to activate - click in the More cell to select to "round to nearest fraction".

Hope this helps - I don't use IPS (dirty, dirty fractions).

Anna Wood

Other then now all the drawing dimensions are in fractions, which I suspect our OP does not desire.   He has probably tried that already I would bet.

FWIW,

Anna

Anna,

Exactly.  I want the dimensions on the table to be decimals, but the hole callouts only to be fractions.  IMO it is stupid that this cannot be done.  There is no reason to call out a drilled clearance hole or counterbore/countersink as a 3 or 4 place decimal.  Last time I checked, drill bits are marked as fractional, not .250, .3125, etc.

Anna Wood

Robert,

Our machinists do not use drill bits and end mills to manufacture c'bored holes unless the parts is real deep.  They use c'bore tools for that.  The parts may even be water jetted and only put up on a mill to add c'bores and c'sinks.  We let them decide what tools are appropriate for the job.

On our prints for our shop, we just call out a note like:

DRILL THRU & C'BORE FOR A 1/4 SHCS
                              C'BORE .20 DEEP

DRILL THRU & C'BORE FOR A <hw-fstsze> SHCS
                              C'BORE <hw-cbdepth> DEEP

We do all of our machining in house and our machinists have all of the correct tools needed to create c'bores and such memorized.  Or they look it up in the machinist's handbook if it is an odd size.  Our shop standards are for Loose Fit clearance holes unless other wise specified.

Attached is a typical shop drawing for our smaller die components.  Also attached is my Hole Chart Notes text file I use to copy and paste my 20-30 typical notes I use 99% of the time into a hole chart.

Your mileage may vary if you have to send your stuff out for build.

FWIW,

Anna

Lenny Bucholz

Robert not all drills are in fractions! there are Number drills 1 thru 80 "sometimes called wire drills" and Letter drills and these are the US standards.

so any machinist with a tap and drill chart will be able to the drill name, decimal number and what tape size for that size drill. then there the whole metric thing....