2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 10:15 AM by Joe Hasik

Plotting Non-Maximum Results

Joe Hasik
      So I've completed as DEsign Scenario of an o-ring being compressed between two metal plates at various compressive loads. The results look correct. What I would like to do  now is plot the displacement of one of the metal plates, rather than the maximum displacement, which is on the deformed O-ring. how do I accomplish making a results graph for this?
        • Re: Plotting Non-Maximum Results

1. Create a displacement plot of the variable you want to graph (URES, UX, UY, etc.)

2. Right-click on the displ. plot and select "probe"  (Click "show" first if not already shown)

3. Click "On selected entities" in the "Probe Result" Feature Manager that appears on the left of your screen.

4. Click the face on which you want to know the displacement.

5. Click "Update."  Now you can scroll through the list of nodes, and see their displacement, their X, Y, and Z location.

6. Click "Save" (Disk icon with paper behind it, not eye dropper) and select a location to save the CSV (comma-separated value) file.

7. Open the CSV file with excel or other graphing package and make a 3D surface plot.  (I'm not sure what is the best way to do this, but that's what you want to do, right?)

Or, if making a 3D surface plot is not what you were asking (you could have been more specific, ahem), you can change the way simulation displays results in the regular displacement plots.

8. Use the "probe" feature as outlined above, but don't mess around with saving the CSV file.  Look at the "max" value for displacement on that surface.

9. Set the "Chart Options" for the displacement plot to show your maximum color at the same value as the max. displacement found above.

10. You can also do the same thing for minimum displacement on that surface.  Just redo steps 9 and 10 again with min. displacement in mind.

11. If you like, you can hide the O-ring after running the simulation, and it won't show up in the displacement results plots.

Does that answer your question?  If you follow the first part, you would have a "results graph" (as you asked for) of your metal plate surface, and a bunch of points a distance from the surface that corresponded to their displacement.  If you did it the second way, you'd get a nice colored plot like normal in simulation, but the O-ring would not show much color gradient (you'd have a nice plot of just the part you wanted). 

One of those ideas ought to do the trick!

David Fletcher