3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 9:46 PM by Emilio Graff

Remote mass performance issues

Emilio Graff

So I am trying to analyze an assembly that hangs from a couple of brackets. I don't care about the assembly, only the brackets, so the logical thing to do is to make the assembly a remote mass on the brackets. I want to do a remote mass instead of a force/moment because I want to be able to quickly change the direction and magnitude of the acceleration (gravity) force.

However, I've run into a couple of issues. First, since Simulation breaks down assemblies into bodies, I have to go one by one and set them to a remote mass. Second, there must be a bug, because as I add remote masses, it gets progressively slower to add the next one, to the point where it takes several seconds to "highlight" the edge/face that the mouse is over during the selection screen. It got unbereable so I closed solidworks and as I write this the process is still running---had to kill it manually.

Now I've restarted Solidworks and loaded the file. It's unbereably slow (picked up right where it left off) in adding a new remote mass.

Clearly this is a bug. So how do I efficiently add a remote mass comprised of various components?

• Re: Remote mass performance issues
          Emilio Graff

Dear lord, the UI in Simulation is weak! I tried to hide the markers for remote masses, thinking this may be slowing things down, and you have to right click on them one by one, because if you select them all, the only right click menu item you get is "delete".

Solidworks, are you serious? This is completely unacceptable given the price of the license and the price you charge for updates.

• Re: Remote mass performance issues
            Emilio Graff
            What I'm doing for now is running the macro (attached) which I modified from one I was given. The macro creates a 3D sketch and puts a point at the CG of the parts. I modified it so it would use the most precise method for mass properties, so that it would omit hidden bodies, and so that it would name the sketch with the mass in grams. So I hide everything but the parts I want to use as a remote mass, run the macro, and then put a coordinate system at the point. When I define my remote mass, I select the coordinate system and put the mass at the origin. The mass can easily be read off the sketch name so it doesn't take that long. I hope this helps someone else.