15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 3:59 PM by Micicah King

Import AI

I searched for this and didn't find an answer to my question, so here it is:

I need to insert a company logo onto a drawing template.  I tried with typical like .jpg files, but the quality sucks.  I tried doing the whole open a .eps file in word, then copy it into SolidWorks and that worked better, but the curves are all wavy and it looks weird.  I have a .ai file type that I would like to use, I can open it in adobe and it looks great, I just don't know how to import that into solidworks to use on a drawing template.  Can anyone help me?

• Re: Import AI
          Lenny Bucholz
          export the AI file as a dwg, that is if you have illistrator. then open it in SW and then you can shrink it or enlarge it with the scale feature for sketchs

I do not have illistrator.

How would having a .dwg file help me to import a company logo onto a drawing template anyway?  Wouldnt that just give me an outline of the text and not keep the color?  I am looking to keep the logo looking how it looks in a .jpg, but without the fuzzy edges.

Lenny Bucholz

well you didn't say that, then try a different format like a tiff, png they have crisper edges, but are bigger files.

Oh Yeah...HI ya MARK, glade they fixed it, been a pain! wish I could get 2010 but working at ASU we only have the Educational 2009-2010 and won't get it until next August! BUT maybe you can pull some strings for an X IDEO'er

lenny

tried png and tiff and gif and every picture file type solidworks offers.  For some reason, the quality of the images seems to be degraded when imported into solidworks.

Is there a better way to import a .eps file rather than opening it in word and copy and pasting into solidworks?  It leaves an outline box around the image because it is a word document file and I know the line does not show up when printing or pdfing, but I also need to have .jpg images of the drawings and the outline shows up there.

Chris,

You really need to try out SW2010 because we reworked the AI import for it based on quality issues we've experienced since 2006. The caveat with 2010 Illustrator import is that you need to have AI installed on same machine that you have SW on.

regards

Mark

bmp didn't look any better

Here is the drawing template and you can see that the logo does not look that great.  The edges are all fuzzy.  The image that I used was very clear and crisp and was 1280x960 size.

Lenny Bucholz

your problem is the shadowing around the logo, thats giving the fuzzys.

but if you know what the font is you could make a solidmodel and use that to make a colored block to use...just giving sugestions.

SW does seem to degrade most pics.

Neil Larsen

Here try this - see attach -- possibly a little inaccurate but it may be ok to use.

This was made by the importing the given bmp into Inkscape, auto tracing the path (path->trace bitmap - select the bmp object before hitting ok) and then exporting it as dxf - ie save as with the new vector object selected instead.

For tracing I used the brightness cutoff mode and adjusted the threshold to effectively eliminate the shadow and different colours in one hit.

The dxf was then imported into a SW drawing, the letter outlines consolidated to the same layer and area solid filled, and then the line colour tool was used to change the fill colour as required. (sorry not quite the same shades but you can fix it if needed...).

The whole logo word was then selected and made into a block and saved as one.

Use the block in your dwgs by insert->annotations->block - and note you can position/scale a block freely and save it inside your templates.

Inkscape will import pdf and .ai as well.

and... just btw SW2009 will pull a vector outline saved out as a pdf from Inkscape, but renamed as an .ai type, into a SW sketch as splines.

I guess I could do this again using a vector format as the basis if its too rough as is, but thats probably getting a bit too much work for a passing forum reply

Let me know if the example isnt ok though.

Also attach below a quick pdf made with the block for comparison to your pdf  with an inserted image - looks a bit better on close inspection.

I guess the above process is quite a bit of work but its probably faster and neater than tracing the logo manually and this one is fairly simple.

The Inkscape path trace function is actually quite slick in my experience.

HTH

free open source Inkscape at http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

EDIT: messed around quite a bit with this post making it more useful for future searches.

So far the best generic import method I've found is printing the image as a PDF and importing the PDF object, for our small logo 500px was crisp enough when we shrunk it down to size, especially when "Zoom sharpen" was used. However, the PDF like every other image imported into SolidWorks dramatically increases the file size of the image and the template. A 37k PDF import of the 500px image increased the template size from 820k to over 1,300k.

Ideally I'd want SolidWorks to allow a Tiff/Fax (CCITT) to be imported, with no conversion, this would allow high-res black/white logos that are incredibly small eg. full size 950px logo is 11k.

We are currently on SolidWorks 2009 SP3.0.

Kevin Van Liere

The "simplest" way to get a logo into a SolidWorks drawing is to open the logo in Microsoft Paint, using the select tool, select the image, then copy this information to the clipboard (CTRL+C). Then, in SolidWorks, edit the sheet and do a Paste of the clipboard image. The reason for doing it this way is that SolidWorks stores the path information to a file image. By using the clipboard you leave no trail to the source information. You can still re-size the image, move it around, etc.

If you do it any other way I recommend that once you save your template that you ask someone else (or use another computer) to verify that the logo comes through.

I hope that helps!

Twaka Tyus
                              select image from illustrator using Ctrl+C (copy) and Ctrl+V (paste) into SolidWorks drawing edit sheet format
                                  Sara Freed

As absurd as this advice sounds, it actually worked for me.  For reasons I don't understand, Select, Ctrl + C and Ctr+ V brought in a much better image than Insert > Picture > Browse.

I  use an open source graphics software (GIMP), not Adobe, and am running SW 2012.  The logo image was an 800 KB Tif file, which I'd sized to 19 mm high X 45 mm long, and 400 ppi in GIMP.  It was not compressed.  When pasted (Ctr+V'd) into my template, it appeared larger than all my other attempts.  (Prior attempts with Insert > Picture all came in an inappropriate large size, mostly regardless of image size or resolution, except for some tiny PNGs.  Some of the images looked good when first brought in, but fell to pieces when I scaled them down to the size I wanted.)  But this time, when I scaled the logo within SolidWorks by dragging a corner of it, it didn't turn into a jagged-edged, pixelly mess with fine lines all melted away.  It looked, well, legible. Maybe a tad better than Chris's test.pdf, above.

The empty background stayed empty, instead of coming in as white--until I sent the file to a coworker who doesn't have GIMP.  File size of the resultant .SLDDRW hasn't changed.  That's just spooky.  For some reason, Twaka's no-brainer method circumvents funky picture scaling in SW drawings.