4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 2:13 PM by Lenny Bucholz

Open DWF

James Spencer
      Is ther any way to open a DWF file in Solidworks without converting it to a DWG file in AutoCAD first?
        • Re: Open DWF
          Lenny Bucholz

NO, sorry it's a AUTODESK drawing web file!

here is a link explaining what it is and how to convert it: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/dwffile.htm

hope this helps

James Spencer

Thank you for your suggestion however I would like a simple way to open a dwf file in Solidworks without needing a converter to a dwg file first if possible. I have one file for example that was sent to me in a dwf format that I can open in Autodesk design review but when I convert the drawing into a dwg using one of the conversion programs (suggested by the website on about.com and other internet searches) the file is empty, the model is not there. If I have the person send me the dwg file I can open it in Solidworks just fine. There are times that I may not have access to the dwg file but need the part in Solidworks and don’t want to go through so may different steps to get it there. - Thanks

Josh Brady
                  If that's the case, I would suggest an ER.
                    Lenny Bucholz

jez with all of this time spent trying to get the file in i could have printed the drawing and remade it in SW.

I've been a modelmaker/prototype machinists for 25 years and i learned a long time ago if a file the customer doesn't work call him and have them send  a file that does, now if you down load a file from the web for say something you are buying, then ya have to go thru the loops.

the DWF is kind of like eDrawings you can see it but not get geom. from it.