3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 7:07 AM by Chris Sonon

2009 SDK crashes

When I start up 2009 student version in the first few minutes it locks up. Sometimes it's when you click on the menu, sometime in the first minute while editing a drawing.

Close SW using TaskManager, restart SW, and all is fine from then on. After the second restart, it works fine.

3GHz P4, 4GB RAM, ATI600 256MB video card, XPpro

Does SW have a "Check for updates" or "repair installation" feature?

• Re: 2009 SDK crashes
          Chris Sonon

You can check for updates typically by selecting Help > Check For Updates. As for repair options, you can open Add/Remove programs and locate Solidworks and select to modify/change the install. Walk through the installation manager again to repair the install.

If Solidworks runs correctly on the second time I would lean towards a prerequiste product being the culprit. Uninstall the Visual C++ 2005 redisto application and reinstall again from the DVD. You may also want to look at repairing/reinstalling .NET depending on what OS you are running. XP did not ship with .NET 3.0/3.5. Vista comes with .NET 3.0 (which is required to run Solidworks) and there is no easy way to repair the installation. What OS are you running?

God Bless,

Chris

• Re: 2009 SDK crashes

Thank you for your reply.

I used the Help function in SW to look up how to get updates:

To check for updates manually:

In SolidWorks, click  Help, Check for Updates. >there is no such option in Help

To allow the  Installation Manager to check periodically:

1. In SolidWorks, click Help, Check for Updates. >there is no such option in Help

2. Specify a number of days in Check for updates every X days,  where X can be between 1 and 99.>there is no such option

3. Click Close.

To initiate the  Installation Manager manually:

In Windows, click  Start, All Programs, SolidWorks Installation Manager, Check for Updates. >there is no SolidWorks Installation Manager in this location

I'm starting to realise that the Student version is an extrmely crippled version of SW (i.e. no Toolbox)

As for repair options, you can open Add/Remove programs and locate Solidworks and select to modify/change the install. Walk through the installation manager again to repair the install.

I've done that at least 4 times already. Once I crashed SW so bad via a few inept commands I had to reinstall it.

I did discover SolidWorks Rx. I'll check it out.

If Solidworks runs correctly on the second time I would lean towards a prerequiste product being the culprit. Uninstall the Visual C++ 2005 redisto application and reinstall again from the DVD.

Good possibility. I'll try that when I get a chance although it installs without a problem.There are rumors that SW crashes due to conflicts with IE8 and SP4.1 fixes it, but as you can see I have no update options.

You may also want to look at repairing/reinstalling .NET depending on what OS you are running. XP did not ship with .NET 3.0/3.5. What OS are you running?

I'm set up for automatic updates on XP Pro SP3.

.NET is at 3.5 SP1 plus a few hotfixes. However I did find .NET Runtime Optimization Service was set to manual start. I changed it to automatic and will see if it helps.

Thanks again!