2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 10:43 AM by Eric Snyder

Distort a sketch like Freeform acts on a surface

Eric Snyder
      I have a 2D sketch that I need to deform much like freeform does to a surface in 3D. I need to keep the sketch constrained in a plane but move certain areas on the sketch and have the other areas distort accordingly. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?
        • Re: Distort a skecth like Freeform acts on a surface
          Charles Culp

What are you trying to do that you can't do with a 2D sketch of a spline?

Constrain each end of  a spline, and add 1 or more spline points, and move them as required. What additional control are you looking for?

• Re: Distort a skecth like Freeform acts on a surface
              Eric Snyder
              I am matching print to tool on a thermoformed part. The process is to make a tool and form a part. After the part is formed the sheet stretches and distorts the print in a way that makes it not line up with the tool cavities. I am searching for a way to pre distort the sketch so that when it gets distorted by the forming operation it lines up with the cavities. I am not looking for software that automatically predicts this distortion. I think all I need to do is print, form, look at the result and then distort the sketch and then print again.