4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 12:26 PM by Jim Sculley

SMTP vs. Database Messaging

Jim Sculley

According to the presentations I have seen, we have to pick one or the other.  We have about about 20 frequent users who will spend most of their time at their desks, where database messaging seems to be the better way.  We have 50+ infrequent users who would spend a lot less time interacting with the PDM system, but are important to the process (senior managers, approvers, etc).  They spend a significant amount of time away from their desks, but are all within reach via Blackberry.  It seems like SMTP is the way to go for those folks.

This seems like it would be a common problem, so how is everyone else dealing with this?

Jim S.

• Re: SMTP vs. Database Messaging

I'm curious while you feel (or anyone for that matter) why the database messaging would be the way to go for the frequent users. In my opinion an email client has significant advanatages and functionality over the built-in client. (Email rules being a big one.)

I personally prefer SMTP; I don't even have to be in the office to approve an ECN.

Hello Lee,

I'm totally agree with you that SMTP is better than database but how I convince my IT guys that those many emails not create problems to our exchange server. We using 2008 version and as you know we can't choose to whom we sent files for verifying and a lot of messages are transmited to all the guys from verifying group. Maybe you know some solution how to deal that great quantity of emails in an exchange server.

Pedro Branco

Hi,

Its is not pick SMTP or internal, When using SMTP if you leave empty the email for a user, this user will receive the notification via database. So you can configure this per user.

Solution Id: S-017659

Question:

If PDMWorks® Enterprise is set up to use SMTP messaging and no email address is found, will the system default to the built-in notification system?

Answer:

Yes, if the mail system is set up to send PDMWorks Enterprise notifications through SMTP, the email address entered here will be used when notifications are sent to the selected user. The notification will only be sent via SMTP, i.e. there will be no copy sent to the “internal” inbox.

If no e-mail address is entered, notifications will be sent to the user using the built-in notification system when the user is logged in to the file vault.

Best,

Pedro Branco

--
                  Jim Sculley
                  Its is not pick SMTP or internal, When using SMTP if you leave empty the email for a user, this user will receive the notification via database. So you can configure this per user.

I just went back and looked through the Administrator's guide, and you are correct.  They don't bother to mention it in the 'Message System' chapter of the guide.  I did however find it in the 'Users and Groups' chapter.

One follow-up question:

The 'Message System' chapter contains this blurb in teh SMTP section:

"User-to-user notifications (such as replying to inbox messages or using the Notify,
                  A Colleague option) are sent directly from the client computer where the message
                  is created and do not rely on the database-server service. If using the SMTP
                  option, ensure that the SMTP server allows relaying messages from the client
                  computers."

The question is, do these user to user messages follow the same rule? If I send a user to user message to a user without an email address on their user card, will s(he) receive it via database messaging?

Jim S.