6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 1:15 PM by Len Switzer

auto solve

Gareth Budge

I am producing wiring diagrams using a simple 2D drawing.  Apart from being excruciatingly slow the auto-solve keeps turning off.  It considers that the drawing is TOO LARGE.  When I load up a decent size 3D model it copes quite well but when I load this line drawing it has trouble coping.  Any ideas??

• Re: auto solve
          Mike Agan
          Not sure this will work: draw as part (sketch only). Put the sketch on the drawing (in a view). I assume you are sketching directly on the drawing.
            Wayne Tiffany

Sw does not handle large sketches very well as you have seen.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that they are actively working on it.  I have sent them some of the large sketches that we have to deal with and they have that as a project to look at.

Now, that being said, maybe some of it you can turn into blocks.  Then things work better.  If you need to modify something in a block later, then you can.  Or use DWGEditor as a last resort.

WT

Len Switzer

Just curious if someone has solved this problem.  I am about 85% finished with a P&ID diagram that I sketched directly in a drawing (2-D), and now I can't finish due to this "too large a sketch" issue.  Technically, I can still edit, but not being able to use snaps and UNDO is not acceptable.  Are there any work arounds, etc.?  I really don't want to start over...again.  Thanks for any input.

Len

Mike Agan

"copy" into a 2D product-Draftsight or other

Wayne Tiffany

Can you make parts of it into blocks?

WT

Len Switzer

I have much of it as blocks already (e.g. valves, fittings, etc.).  It just doesn't seem like the number of components is that big to cause a problem.  Are there certain items that are big memory hogs causing this (like hatches or text)??  I have imported this to Draftsight for the time being, but I sure like sketching in SolidWorks for stuff like this, since I can paramaterize dimensions and use pre-existing page layouts.  Draftsight has its own issues, as well.

If anyone has recommendations on how to reduce the size or things to look for to reduce size/reconfigure, I am all ears.  Thanks.

Len