4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 3:43 PM by John Kratz

Can't put note in broken view

John Kratz

I've got a long sheet metal part and have put the flat pattern on a drawing as a broken view. When I try to add a note, I can place the arrowhead in the view, but then I can't type any text. If I click the "okay" check mark (so I can maybe edit the text after), the note disappears. What gives? It's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Can't put note in broken view
          Kelvin Lamport

Does this happen with other similar parts?

Can you place a note without a leader?

John Kratz

It has happened before, but I can't remember the circumstances.

I can place a note without a leader within the borders of the view, and then move it onto the part, though I want the leader. I can also place a note on the part itself (within the flat pattern view) which has a leader with a dot, but then when I try to move the dot onto a line, in order to make the dot become an arrowhead, the whole note disappears.

Wayne Tiffany

Where are you placing it - sort of in the area that would be between the breaks?  Try it at the end of the part to see if it works there.  There are some things that are swallowed by a broken view, but I would have to look back at my stuff to tell you which ones.

WT

John Kratz

Well that worked. If I place the arrowhead on the bend line, close to the perimeter of the part, and then place the text box outside of the part, I am able to edit the text and then move the arrowhead and then the text to where I want them. I just hope I remember it the next time I have a broken view. That's two hours for a half-hour drawing.

Thanks so much for your help Wayne (and Kelvin)!

By the way, I just found out that if you place the notes BEFORE you break the view, the notes don't disappear. Just don't try to reposition the arrowheads after the view is broken, or they will disappear.