10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 7:07 PM by Joy Garon

Counter in Dispatch?

Adam Meyer

Is there a way to have a counter in a dispatch script?

For example, to count the number of files that have been renamed

for all docs

let x=1

perform rename

let x=x+1

end for all docs

display x

The only thing I can think of is using the parameter file, but I haven't explored this yet.

• Re: Counter in Dispatch?
          You can create a runtime variable as "x" and then use the add command add(variable,1).
            Joy Garon

Hi Adam -

You can do it by keeping count in a registry value - see attached.

Regards,

Joy

Ty Toney

Joy,

Do you have this in a format that windows recognizes? Windows doesn't recognize .acn files and I can't find anything on the net that does. I'm trying to create a "days till due" counter.

Thanks,

Ty

Tim Read

.acn format is what you get when you save a file from Dispatch. You just need to read it into Dispatch using the Load... command.

Joy Garon

Hi Ty -

Can you expand a little more on what you are trying to achieve?

I suspect you may want to use a report instead where you key off the date.

This will require knowledge of T-SQL in order to write the query you will use in the report.

I have attached a sample report you can use along with a video of how to use it.

Good Luck,

Joy

Ty Toney

Joy,

We have a multi-tiered review system with varying people at each review stage (based on workload and expertise), which has made for a fairly complex EPDM setup.Now we are looking to put target due dates to each review stage as well as to have a final completion date, all with an emphasis on automation. For instance if reviewer 1 took a day over the targeted completion that when the state change occurs the system would automatically take the total remaining time and divide it equally among the remaining reviewers, giving each reviewer a new target date. The problem being that I haven't been able to have the system do math with dates. Hawkridge Sys. told us that for tracking due dates and such that we would have to use SQL backend reporting, and that EPDM won't do date calculations. A colleague was telling me last night that there is a way to change a date to a 1-365 number in EPDM, I think I may be able to manipulate that into working.

Anyway, there is an explanation of the goal and where I'm at with it.

Thanks for the help,

Ty

Joy Garon

Hi Ty,

Hawkridge is giving you the proper advice. Typically you need to use reporting or perhaps API integration to achieve these goals.

I know of customers who have integrated with various project management tracking tools such as MS Project and Intuit QuickBase.

Joy

Ty Toney

Joy,

I did get the system to be able to calculate Days till Due. It involves lots of scripting, formulas and variables. The problem is how it updates itself for "Today's Date", the script has to run to update the 1-365(6) integer but have no daily trigger. Back-Burnered until I can think of a daily trigger.

I am interested in what you were saying about integrating MS Project. Some people here use it already, I've never used it though and am quite unfamiliar. Do you have any info on how to integrate it? Or know of where I can find out how?

Thanks for the tips,

Ty

Ty Toney

I finally watched the video from the zip file, after I installed Quicktime. We are looking more at the file level for deadlines rather than the project level ones shown in the video. Is there a way to do a report on files instead?