AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simulation guidance needed - 1st attempt.

Question asked by Tony Szuta on Sep 28, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 by 1-L5M1MV

Hello All,

I have a question and hope that you can guide me in the right direction. I have an aluminum extrusion that spans a concrete pit. I need to determine how much weight the extrusion can hold when assembled. I tried to simulate this last night and came up with some answers but the problem is that I don't know if they are correct.

The extrusions join together to form a hinge connection. I have attached a view for your reference. The model shown in the view is NOT the correct scale. I just put something together quickly to try and explain this better.

I am supposed to add weight to a 12"x12" area in the middle of the assembly. In the picture, it is colored orange. The assembly is supported on 2 ends, colored light blue in the picture.

How would I best go about simulating this?

In my simulation, I assumed that the ends of the extrusions were 'bonded' to the concrete. What would I use to simulate the connection between each extrusion? Also, how would I go about adding the force to the orange area of the extrusions? To create the orange area, I simply split the face. I can select the face and apply the force to it, but I just want to make sure that I am going about this correctly. The force is spread out evenly on all of the orange faces. I know how to do this.

Any help is appreciated - thanks in advance!

Attachments

Outcomes