12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 6:16 PM by John Nemeth

Abismal performance in SW 2009 SP 4.0 VISTA 64 bit

John Nemeth

Hi,

just wanted to find out whether anyone else is enjoying life with SW as I do at the moment.

Just switched to 64 bit VISTA Business a few weeks ago, new box, new installations, started with a clean slate.

Windows: Vista Business 64 bit SP 2

Processor: 2Quad CPU Q9400 2.67 GHz

Memory: 8 GB

SolidWorks: SW 2009 SP 4.0

Current project: 5492 components, 757 subassies, 6 deep, mostly in-context. A smaller than average project in our range. We used to handle projects up to 14-15000 components in XP 32 bit.

The system starts with a high memory load according to the Task Manger. After starting SW and calling up the project (it loads very slowly too) it quickly reaches 3.5 GB and is verrrrrry slooooooow. After editing sketches it spins 30-40 seconds (TM says SW not responding). The memory load reaches  about 4.2 GB in about 30 minutes (I've seen 4.5 GB only once) and at this stage becomes virtually irresponsive. Subassemblies which are yet fully unconstrained can not be moved and any mating attempt results in error (overdefined). Entities can not be selected (first of all edges) and the generic performance is worse than that in XP 32 with those 14-15000 component assemblies.

Beyond VISTA's well know memory hungriness this seems to be very bad even to SW performance standards. The switch to 64 bit is a complete disappointment.

I assume most of this is the consequence of using VISTA - I just hope Windows 7 will be so much better. I am using VISTA 32 bit at home and it is not so bad. With 4 GB installed and 3GB switch activated subjectively (without any comparative performance test) it seem to have the same or even better poerformance than the office 64 bit VISTA.

Am I doing something wrong or this is just the way it is? Anyone having similar joy?

John

• Re: Abismal performance in SW 2009 SP 4.0 VISTA 64 bit
          Anna Wood

How about a bit more info on your system.

What specific make and model of computer?

What is your video card and driver version?

What other software is installed?

What anti-virus are you running?

Are you running any SolidWorks add-ins?

What other software do you run at the same time you are working with SW?

When you set-up your compter did you upgrade all the system drivers to the latest version downloaded from the OEM's website?

Are you sure all the hardware on your new system is up to snuff?  Even if new, systems have been known to ship with bad hardware or components suffer from an early death.

There is a conflict in your system somewhere.  Many, many folks run Vista x64 and SW2009 with no issues.

Cheers,

Anna

John Nemeth

Anna,

I put your lines between "  " and my ones are 'straight'

"What specific make and model of computer?"

Custom made

"What is your video card and driver version?"

nVidia Quadro Fx 1800. Driver: 182.46

"What other software is installed?"

MS Office 2007 (runs only when needed for SW, for Design Tables)

"What anti-virus are you running?"

Symantec 10.2.3.3000

"Are you running any SolidWorks add-ins?"

No

"What other software do you run at the same time you are working with SW?"

Google Chrome browser (turned off in 50% of the time) and Outlook for emails.

"When you set-up your compter did you upgrade all the system drivers to the latest version downloaded from the OEM's website?"

Yes, everything was the latest.

"Are you sure all the hardware on your new system is up to snuff?  Even if new, systems have been known to ship with bad hardware or components suffer from an early death."

Well, it is working (the way it is) and the supplier seems to be reliable on the basis of our experience with them in the last 5 years.

"There is a conflict in your system somewhere.  Many, many folks run Vista x64 and SW2009 with no issues."

Good to hear! I thought this is the way it has to be...

Which area do I have to attack? Is there any test system or something which I can use to identify the problem and to present it to the supplier? On generic (performance) questions their standard answer is that the problem is with SW.

Thanks for your help, Anna.

Regards:

John

Anna Wood

Are you running a dual socket motherboard?  In your original post you show 2 Quad cores.  I am wondering if that is a typo or not.

What size, make and model is the power supply in the system?

How about specifics on motherboard, memory, hard drives, etc.

The more detail the better for all of us here to offer you some things to look at.

I am wondering if the power supply is up to snuff.  Also maybe there is a bad stick of RAM.

I am also curious about your home system.  What are your system spec's with that?  You say it runs SW2009 well.  Have you tried working with the same assemblies on your home system that you are having trouble with at work.  How is the same or different from your work computer?

Out of curiosity how much did you pay for your system?  I am surprised you did not go with a Core i7 system.  This being the latest and greatest from Intel.  More performance then the Core 2 Quad you have spec'ed.  Although the system you have should cost considerably less then a Core i7 system.  You are giving away a lot of performance from what is currently available from Intel, especially with the size of assemblies you are working with.

Cheers,

Anna

John Nemeth

Anna

Yehaa! (Or something similar). Beyond pestering you I also tried attacking the hardware supplier. It turned out that a few basic settings were missing from my Windows:

msconfig/Boot options/Advanced settings. The number of processors was not set (it was showing a greyed out '1') and the option 'Use all memory' (or something similar) was not ticked either. After pressing the radio buttons and selecting the number of processors to 4 and the memory also jumped to to 8192 (8GB physical RAM). After reboot the box started to behave much more humanly. I am not 100 percent sure that this solved all of my problems but the box is much more responsive now and that memory limitation (4.2-4.5 GB) seem to have disappeared.

I assume these are quite basic settings which I did not even had to know about but my friendly hardware supplier was not aware these either so they had not been set at the first place as they supposed to be.

At the moment it looks rosy so I have to sleep a few on this issue and I will come back to the forum after a few days just to let all those unlucky ones known what to do if their VISTA starts creeping...

Thanks again and regards:

John

Anna Wood

John,

Interesting, I will have to check my Vista and Windows 7 machines at home to see what those settings are.  That is something that I did not touch at all when I did my operating system installs.

Cheers,

Anna

Jim Sculley

3108 wrote:

Anna

Yehaa! (Or something similar). Beyond pestering you I also tried attacking the hardware supplier. It turned out that a few basic settings were missing from my Windows:

msconfig/Boot options/Advanced settings. The number of processors was not set (it was showing a greyed out '1') and the option 'Use all memory' (or something similar) was not ticked either. After pressing the radio buttons and selecting the number of processors to 4 and the memory also jumped to to 8192 (8GB physical RAM). After reboot the box started to behave much more humanly. I am not 100 percent sure that this solved all of my problems but the box is much more responsive now and that memory limitation (4.2-4.5 GB) seem to have disappeared.

I assume these are quite basic settings which I did not even had to know about but my friendly hardware supplier was not aware these either so they had not been set at the first place as they supposed to be.

At the moment it looks rosy so I have to sleep a few on this issue and I will come back to the forum after a few days just to let all those unlucky ones known what to do if their VISTA starts creeping...

Thanks again and regards:

John

All the documentation I have found surrounding that option indicates that it is used to *limit* the number of processors used by Windows and is intended mainly for troubleshooting.  For example, if you have a dual socket motherboard and are concerned that one is causing problems, you set NUMPROC=1 and if the problems go away, the processor may be bad.  If the option isn't set, it is logical to assume that Windows will use all available processors.  Ditto for the MAXMEM option.

Any perceived performance gain is either all in your head, or due to something else.

Jim S.