5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 6:56 PM by Michael Dekoning

Search multiple fields

Jason Capriotti

Is it possible to create a search card with a search field that will search two variables in an "OR" situation?

We have two "Description" fields from our legacy system. One is short (30 characters) while the other is long (144 characters). These two fields have not been used consistently and many cases the long description field is empty or contains total different information than the short description. I would like a search form that would have a single description field that will search both of the description fields.

So the user could search for "Bracket" and get a hit if either fields contain it.

• Re: Search multiple fields
          Michael Dekoning

Jason,

We have the same situation except our fields are Title1 and Title2. We created a field Title on the data that  concatinates these entries by using the input formula of Title1 Title2. In the Search card we only have one text box which is tied to the Title field. This way the user finds the value no matter which field it was in. Works well for us.

Mike

EPDM 2009 SP3

Mathew Stevenson
              How do you concatinate in a search card. Can you submit more info?
                  Michael Dekoning

I put together a quick example to show this instead of trying to show our entire data and search cards. The fields (Title1 and Title2) are concatinated in the data card (Card1) as a new field (Title) and the search card (Card2) textbox is related to the Title field. One thing I did forget in the example though is that the textbox for Title in the data card should be read-only.

Mike

EPDM 2009 SP3

Jon Brunke

Michael,

This is great, thanks!  I do have it working but I do have one question.

Is there a way to get my new "concatenated" variable to read the individual variables without resorting to specifically editing one of the individual variables and then checking the part in?

I've got quite a few items and my new search form doesn't find anything unless I specifically edit one of the driving variables. In my application the values I'm concatenating pre-exist and are correct so I don't want to change them. Right now to force my concatenated variable to read everything I check out the part select one of driving variables, add a space then remove the space, check it in and everything works.

Thanks again