11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 8:51 PM by Jerry Myer

N.C producing software

Mark Greenwell

Hi,

Could someone recomend a N.C producing software / add on which could do the following.

We would like to create a part in Solidworks, this could be a flat plate or section (ie beam, column, angle etc). These parts would have holes ect in.

From this Solidworks part we then would like to create N.C data so these parts could be drilled cut to length on our burning / saw and drill machine.

The saw and drill and burning machines are Ficep - Tipo.

What N.C producing software is out there which could do this?

Thanks

Mark

• Re: N.C producing software
          Matt McKendrick
          We use CamWorks for generating our toolpaths and outputting NC code.  Many other packages are available, some of which work within Solidworks as well.  MasterCam and SolidCam come to mind.  If you are looking for something dirt-cheap and rudimentary, you might look into BobCam or the like. but it is a stand alone program, and you will have to save out a parasolid (which isn't all bad sometimes.)  As far as your controllers you listed, CamWorks doesn't appear to have those by default.  Something you will definately want to ask your reseller.
            Anna Wood

I would ask the Ficep - Tipo people what CAM software they recommend.  You will need software that can create a CNC file that your Ficep - Tipo can read into its controller.  Ficep - Tipo should know best what CAM packages work well with their controller.

Cheers,

Anna

Paul Swinney
                   Not familiar with Ficep - Tipo, so I googled it.  This is a machine tool  builder, the control is their own, a proprietary p/c based control.  It does not use IEA/ISO or ANSI g-code type programing so most CAM systems will not work for it.  Contact the manufacture / distributor you bought it from (yes like Anna said).  The literature for these controls say it has a "WIN-NEST" software that interfaces with CAD systems.  Just a swag but this probably means it will read / accept a DXF file.  Most likely flat 2D data (most punch/burn machines are like this).  Oh and they also state they have a p/c standalone software package.  http://www.ficepcorp.com/Brochures/Type%20B%20Brochure.pdf
                  Mark Greenwell

Hi all,

Thanks for reply / info.

At the moment we have lots of different software that runs different machines, and we are trying to find 1 package that will produce N.C code for all our machines. Ideally by using something within SolidWorks to produce the require G-code.

With the Tipo machines we could save a SolidWorks model as a Step file and import and this is something we were looking at.

Thanks again for the info.

Mark

Roy Potter

Hi Mark

I know this is a very old post but, did you make any progress with creating NC data fo beams etc?

Roy.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Roy,

No never did get the chance to demo anything been too busy.

I did however find a web site which looked interesting.

Google this CMS - component management software. Or search for Structsoftsolutions.

You are looking for the cms software found under the products tab.

This seems to offer the ability to generate N.C info from a SolidWorks model.

Let me know what you think / how you get on.

Regards

Mark

Roy Potter

Contacted these people. Although they say it's part of SW it's a piece of code that creates a new file that is read into another programme and worked on outside SW. Another issue is that is does not work straight from weldements. These have to be saved out as bodies.

I've sent some model bodies to see how it performs.

Roy.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Roy,

Old post but just had some info back from Strucsoft solutions.

I passed on some parts in SolidWorks , IGES, AutoCad and IFC format for them to have a look at.

They were able to create N.C code for the more  straight forward parts i.e. Beams, Columns, flat plates but anything with a bend or camber they were unable to make N.C info.

So at present this is of no real use to us, they did say that the product was under constant improvement and would contact me if they were able to create N.C data from the more complex shapes I sent.

If I hear anything from them I will let you know.

Thanks

Mark

Bill Lacey

We're going through this as well. Here are all of the vendors that we are comparing:

SigmaNEST (stand alone nesting software)

SolidNEST (integrated into SolidWorks)

SolidCAM

Mastercam

CAMWorks (leaning towards this, but I will let you know our results after the demos)

Mark Greenwell

Hi William,

We have used SigmaNest since about 2001.

We looked at SolidNest when it first came out, but found the nesting capabilities to be limited, You could only auto nest, where we find that sometimes we could get a better nest by manually nesting, don't know if this has been improved over the years.

Also been looking at SolidTube, which allows you to create burning N.C for pipes, tubes, hollow section etc.

Will definitely have a look at CamWorks let me know how your demo goes.

Thanks

Mark

Jerry Myer

I just created a post in the thread:  CAD/CAM Software recommendation.

I say, BobCAM for SolidWorks. 

Make sure you get a version that has the 'toolpath editor' feature.  Otherwise, it is just a bunch of fancy pocket routines.