15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 6:15 PM by John Layne

Any easy way to open Latest "Released" version of assembly & components?

David Diehl

I know you can open an assembly loading all of the latest versions of all the components, or you can open the assembly in the "As Built" condition.  But, what I am really looking for is an easy way to open an Assembly that pulls in the lastest "Released" versions of all of its components.

"As Built" does not get me what I want because many of the components may have been released several times since the "As built" version was created.  And, the problem with opening the latest versions of all of the components is that it pulls up many components that are currently being revised and have not reached a Released state.  And, it is not practical to click on each and every component and do a "Get Version" and manually select the version that corresponds to the last "Released" version.

Thank you,

Dave

• Re: Any easy way to open Latest "Released" version of assembly & components?

On PDMWorks Enterprise Administration->Users->Explorer tab you have an option under Miscellaneous "Always work with latest version of files".

Brian Dalton

Wouldn't that option (when set) just ensure that you always saw every revision-in-process, though?  I think that's just what David wants to avoid.  I have the same concern.. I want to be able to pull up an assembly and have every part in the condition it was in the last time it was approved for release of a new revision.  I don't want to see every little tweak that every engineer has been testing out since then, which is what you get with always using the latest version.

What we need is an option that says "ignore all versions except the most recent official revision release" when opening an assembly.  Those interim versions are of no concern to anyone except the engineer that's working on them until they've been approved and released to the next revision, at which time the assembly should then honor the new revision.

Brian-

David Diehl

What Brian is saying is exactly what I am talking about... I don't want to see all of the in-process/in-work versions of components that make up an assembly.  I only want to see the latest "Approved/Released" versions/revision that each component has reached when I am releasing an assembly.

I had a hunch that Joy's response was the case.... "Unfortunately you cannot 'get latest released version' - However, I would encourage you to submit it as an enhancement request."  But I can appreciate this answer because it at least keeps me from hunting for hours trying to find this feature and also helps me to respond to users and management about this.  For my part, I plan on submitting an enhancement request as Joy recommends because I think this is a very critical feature.

Thank you,

Dave

Joy Garon

Hi David -

Unfortunately you cannot 'get latest released version' - However, I would encourage you to submit it as an enhancement request.

When working with files that have referenced you can use 'Get Version' and the select in the dialog whether you want the 'lastest' versions of references or the 'as built' version of references. (see image)

getversion.png

It is important to remember that Check Out does not give you this option. It ALWAYS gets the latest version of files. So to modify, you would check out then get version to get the desired versions.

Best Regards,

Joy

Jason Capriotti

I put in an enhancement request for this, though it doesn't have an SPR yet so you won't see it if you search for it.

Not sure when an ER gets an SPR number, none of the requests I have made have been closed out with an SPR yet and some are from April 2009.

Brian Dalton

After some more experimentation, I have discovered the following:

If I want to open an assy read-only and I want only the released versions of parts (those that were active when the assembly was released to a specific rev) I just Get the released version of the assembly in As Built mode, accept the offer to Get the older versions of all the referenced components, then open the assy without checking it out.

However...

If I check out the assy after getting the released versions, it will automatically revert to the latest versions.  This seems wrong to me, but it does.

If I want to open an assembly for editing as it was at its last official release, I need to check it out first, THEN Get the released version in As Built mode, then open the assy.  At this point I have the assy open with write access and it's in the condition it was in at the last official release - ignoring any interim versions that have occurred since that time.

Rather cumbersome, but effective as long as it leads to consistent and predictable results.  I'll just have to teach my engineers how to handle things in this specific manner.

B-

David Diehl

We have two problems with retrieving the "AS BUILT" assembly at it latest offical Revision (Such as REV D).

1. Many of the components may have gone through several release cycles.  So the AS-BUILT condition would not bring up the latest 'official' released revision/version of the component.  It would only retrieve the revision/version it was when the assembly was released.  (Example:  The component may have been at REV A when the Assembly was released at REV D (This would be the AS-BUILT condition).  However, now this same component may have moved through several release cycles and is now at REV F.  It may even currently be UNDER-REVISION which we stamp a revision of F001 indicating it will soon be released at REV G.  I don't want the latest version, because that would pull up the version corresponding to revision F001.  And, I don't want the AS-BUILT, since that would bring up REV A.  What I want is to bring up the component at REV F (The latest official released revision).  And the only way to get that is to select that each component and do a 'Get Version...' manually.  On assemblies with hundreds of components, this is impractical.

2. As a result of the situation above, all of our users basically work with nothing but the latest versions.  So, unfortunately, if I go to any of our released assemblies and look at the "AS-BUILT" condition, it will contain numerous components that are all over the place in terms of released status..Many IN-WORK, many IN-REVIEW, etc.

What complicates this is that this seems to be a difficult concept for users to understand.  And even if they do understand the importance of this, in my opinion, Enterprise PDM does not have a clean and easy way to handle this.

Brian Dalton

Yes, I agree that SW needs to think of a better way to handle these situations, and I'm afraid you're also probably right about users having difficulty grasping the subtleties (I'm struggling with it, and I'm supposed to be the system admin!).

I'm thinking it could be handled this way:

Let's say an assy is released to rev D with all components at their appropriate released rev.  If someone revs up one of the components to another state, I want the assy to reflect the components new revision, but I don't want to rev the assy itself (unless it's undergone sufficient material change to justify an up-rev).  I create an alternate release path in my workflow that increments the Revision variable by 0 (instead of the usual 1).  Then I can:

1. Check out the assembly.
                            2. Get the most recent revision As Built (not reflecting the component revision).
                            3. Get the new released revision of the component.
                            4. Save the assembly and check it back in.
                            5. Choose the "Release without Revision" transition in my workflow.

Now the assy As Built reflects the newly revised component but has not itself been up-revd.

Seem workable?

Jon Brunke

All,

Here is a "how to" I wrote for our users covering this topic. As noted in the document there will be more efficient ways to retrieve files depending on your circumstances.  The document provides a generic methodology that will produce a consistent result.  Hope this helps.

John Layne

"Yes, I agree that SW needs to think of a better way to handle these situations, and I'm afraid you're also probably right about users having difficulty grasping the subtleties (I'm struggling with it, and I'm supposed to be the system admin!).

I'm thinking it could be handled this way:

Let's say an assy is released to rev D with all components at their appropriate released rev.  If someone revs up one of the components to another state, I want the assy to reflect the components new revision, but I don't want to rev the assy itself (unless it's undergone sufficient material change to justify an up-rev).  I create an alternate release path in my workflow that increments the Revision variable by 0 (instead of the usual 1).  Then I can:

1. Check out the assembly.
                                  2. Get the most recent revision As Built (not reflecting the component revision).
                                  3. Get the new released revision of the component.
                                  4. Save the assembly and check it back in.
                                  5. Choose the "Release without Revision" transition in my workflow.

Now the assy As Built reflects the newly revised component but has not itself been up-revd.

Seem workable?

Ditto having same problem.

Uping the Revision of an assembly if a part has been "up-revd" is insanity in my humble opinion. Upping the Revision of an Assembly should only occur if a part number has changed, been removed or new part added. Imagine if every time a part in a 10,000 part assembly was up-revd and the Assembly rev was changed.

Rule 1- Part Number of part changes if it is no longer interchangeable with previous Revisions. Revisions are applied for drawing changes and or part changes that DO NOT effect its "Interchangeability" .

Volumes and standards have been written on this subject.

Suggested reading

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Documentation-Control-Handbook-Third/dp/0815515952

A few Links

http://www.icmhq.com/

http://www.ecm5tools.com/default.html

http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=36644

http://www.cmpic.com/cmresourceguide.htm