4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 4:35 AM by Gamal Reda

Shell Mesh in simulation 2009

Gamal Reda

Hi all,

In simulation 2009 when creating a surface to mesh a solid part with shell elements, Is it have to be a mid-plane surface or can I use one of the faces of the solid part to create this surface?

• Re: Shell Mesh in simulation 2009
          Anthony Botting
          Yes. But you will have to create a new surface in SW 2009. Just offset the face by zero units, then hide the solid so you can see the surface to mesh. If you update the components in the analysis tree, you should see a new shell surface, to which you will need to define a material and a thickness. You will also need to exclude the solid body from the analysis. I understand SW 2010 allows you to directly select the existing solid face and declare it a shell surface (as it did in SW 2008).
              Gamal Reda
              Thanks Anthony.
                Joe Galliera
                From Simulation 2009 and forward, the true thickness of the shell that you input in its definition is considered in determining contact, just as it was with COSMOSM.  So you may want to also consider offsetting the shell by half its thickness (and typically you have to select the option to do it in the reverse direction so that it is in the midplane of the solid).  Then I suggest adding a Delete Body feature for the original solid body, while not required I think it makes for a cleaner component/body listing in the Simulation tree.
                    Gamal Reda

From Simulation 2009 and forward, the true thickness of the shell that you input in its definition is considered in determining contact, just as it was with COSMOSM

What does it mean "considered in determining contact?

And, is it wrong to make the shell surface just on the solid body surface (i.e. offset the solid body surface by 0 mm distance)?