1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 11:26 AM by Anthony Botting

Simulation Tutorial Problem

Jim Sculley

Is it my imagination or is the

"Converting  a Thin Solid Body into Sheet Metal and Surface Body"

lesson in the 'Static' tutorials completely messed up?

I have tried to work through this one a least a dozen times and at various points, the text of the lesson makes no sense or the software doesn't behave.

Furthermore, when meshing the 'SheetMetal_Study' the 'frame' component is deleted from the model.  I have to 'Undo' to get it to come back.  Why would simulation delete components from an assembly?

Jim S.

• Re: Simulation Tutorial Problem
          Anthony Botting

Hi Jim:

I worked through this today and found a few typos (I am using SW 09, SP4.0, x64 edition):

For step 3 in "SheetMetal_Study".
          They have a typo- s.b.

"..right-click SolidBody 2 under the frame-1 part...".

and

"SolidBody 1 icon changes from...",

s.b.:

"SolidBody 2 icon changes from...".

Thereafter, a step appears to be required when the user changes body types. I practice this frequently because of swapping solids for surfaces back and forth: Right click on the study name and choose "Update All Components". It is possible the solid body chair frame did not get recognized.

That, or the frame failed to mesh. I have seen cases where some parts won't mesh, but the algorithm finishes anyway (ususally with a warning about which parts failed to mesh), then displays meshed components on screen.

My software actually froze when I attempted the mesh with the new sheetmetal body representation of the seat. So, I killed SW and restarted and it works OK now.

Can you let me know if anything else did not work as expected?

Thanks.

Tony B.