We have recently created a library of pipe & components for MSCL pipe (mild steel concrete lined pipe with an external anti-corrosion coating) and we had to make the pipes, elbows, tees, etc. as multi-bodied parts for a number of reasons:
1. Coverings are unable to be applied to the inside of a pipe.
2. Coverings are added as a seperate part, whereas both the outer coating & inner concrete lining are integral with the pipe and are not ordered as seperate items.
However, using pipes with multi-bodies have the following limitations:
1. Cannot penetrate a multibody pipe.
2. Using bends instead of elbows deletes the additional bodies on bends.
3. Cannot apply different densities to the individual bodies (this looks like it has been addressed in SW 2010).
Do you know if any of the other issues have been addressed in SW 2010. If not, any ideas if they can be addressed?
My current work around, to allow for penetrations & formed bends, has been to create a 2nd version of the pipes, elbows, etc. and merge the bodies.