4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2009 5:34 AM by Gamal Reda

relation between size of an object and mesh size

Shasith Janarthan

hi all

i want  to understand the  relation between size of an object and size of mesh ( between  coarse or fine) because ,on a recent -static analysis

of a solid body that had some  structral members ,with the finer mesh size the result was unrealistic , with the default mesh size  the result was acceptable close to therotical calculations  .I would like to know how to select the appropriate mesh size for an object ?

• Re: relation between size of an object and mesh size
          Joe Galliera

Model?

You must have set up the model wrong then, because the finer mesh should not be less accurate.  When trying to mimic a hand calc, which many times is a 1-D or 2-D problem, it is difficult to translate that into a 3-D model.

Shasith Janarthan

Thank you  Joe Galliera,

i had set the model with proper restraints and i find the fluctuations to minimum .but still i have an issue with visualizing the deformed shape of the  structral elements ,To give a brief idea what i am doing is this,

1.create a sheet metal part

2.attach sheet metal 5 mm thick  part  to beam

3.apply force on the sheet metal part enough to deform the beam and sheet metal

4.restraint( fixed )the beam on its joints

5.define contat set -bonded

6,Apply  restraints -(translation s) for the sheet metal part

7. run the analysis

i am unable to visualize  the deformation on the beams ,can somebody help me to identifiy what  is going wrong in the analysis method

sash

Stefan Wozniak

You need to remeber that SWX Simulation when calculating automatic mesh size is using by default size of entire assembly so you can get very large elements for single parts. To get element size calculation based on each part size you need to apply mesh control and use "use per part size" option.

That behavior could couse your problem.