11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 5:52 AM by Pete Farnham

FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Mike Lydon

I have posted once or twice on this forum about Excel and SW not playing nice. We are running XP32 and Office 2003. We have had a problem with Excel and SW not playing nice since the first install of SW2005. No one seems to want to admit to this problem. I have mentioned it to past and present VAR's, and the response is "what problem?" Well, Exel crashed, AGAIN, only this time it totally hosed my settings. My toolbars disappeared. No problem, restored the settings, guess what? Either I didn't save them properly or something else got hosed, because all I got was the default SW setup with the Command manager. So.... I load up some common toolbars, SAVE THE SETTINGS, and SW crashed. Restored the settings, all is good. I'm working on a small assembly. I open a part in the assembly, and LO! all my toolbars disappear. Switch to the assembly, they are back. Also have the DimXpertManager active in the part file. How do I get my toolbars to show up in the part??? How do I get rid of the DimXpertManager??? I am not being very productive today and I am not very happy. Can someone please offer some suggestion how to get back my toolbars. I do not believe I have to set up toolbars separately for parts and assemblies. Attached are screen shots of a part and an assembly to illustrate my problem. The toolbar that shows on the part screen shot was added by me.

Mike Lydon

• Re: FRUSTRATED!!!!!
          Wayne Tiffany

Parts and assy's and drawings all have their own setup for toolbars.  That's so you can have the appropriate ones for each.

If your settings should be the same as your neighbors, just export his out and pull them into yours.  If there are enough differences, you can pull in just toolbars, etc.  Might be a good start.

WT

Steve Calvert

It sounds like you might have a bad install of SW.  Your profile doesn't show any machine specs except for "old Dell".  Are you maybe out of memory something else along those lines?

You say towards the end that "I do not believe I have to set up toolbars separately for parts and assemblies"  I think you do have to or at least you did at one point.  When I open a part or an assembly, the toolbars shown are different.

Steve

BTW, I haven't had any problems with Excel and SW

Mike Lydon

Steve,

I think that when excel crashed, it totally hosed SW. I will try a fresh install tomorrow. Our problems with Excel and SW span several SW releases and is common to all the CAD machines (which are all different) here. The problem seems to be caused by any drawing with a design table. If I open SW parts with design tables and try to open a separate Excel table outside of SW, or even if I edit a design table in a separate window, Excel will crash, and hose SW. If, over the course ofseveral hours, I open parts with design tables, close the files when finished, and then open an Excel file, it will re-open EVERY SW part that has been worked on and closed, and then CRASH hard. Our VAR has been called on this long ago and was unable to fix the problem, and those at the VAR that I have mentioned this problem to, deny all knowlege of the problem. We can't be the only ones to have this problem.

Mike Lydon

Jerry Steiger

Mike,

Just to increase your frustration, I can tell you that we haven't had any problems with Excel and SolidWorks. We did switch to Excel 2007 not long after it came out. I'm not fond of the changes to the user interface, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems with SolidWorks either.

Jerry Steiger

Mille Bojgaard

Have you had the same installation of Excel/Office all the time this problem has occured? Maybe the bad installation is in Excel, not SW.. It sounds like it would be worth a shot to re-install Excel/Office just to see if it solves the problem.

Just for the record.. I have had no problems with SW & Excel (running SW 2009 x64 and Excel/Office 2007)

Mille

Mike Lydon

We have three different CAD machines in engineering. Solidworks is installed locally on each machine. Microsoft Office is installed locally on each machine. The problem has existed on all three machines (five machines total, since two of the machines have been replaced) on every version of Solidworks since the original (SW2005, I think) install.

Mike

This has been a bug going around for close to a year for me as well.  I never had anything like it happen on my older machine with XP/SW2007/Office 2003; my newer machine is a Dell with Vista 64 and Office 2007.  There's several forum topics that cover it, but it seems very hit and miss as far as fixes.  It seems like some companies have it, or they don't.  Do a quick scan in the forums, I believe there was a hot fix for SW 2009 that covers just this issue.  My hope is that I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 and SW 2010 soon, and possibly it'll just go away.  And then I can deal with a new set of problems.

That having been said, I see three places that this problem could be floating around in:

1. The network setup for the PC's (since it seems to be across multiple PC platforms).  Maybe somehow connected to how Outlook is configured for Office 2007?
                              2. Users doing renames/copies in the SW file open dialog windows?  Just a shot, the error does seem to link to DLL files.
                              3. "Conflicts of Interest" between MS Office, the VISTA OS, and Solidworks; possibly due to the 64 bit OS and memory handling that the program(s) may have a bug in.

Just my $.02.  Any comments/suggestions would be helpful..

SW 2008 X64 SP5

Dell Precision T5400

Xeon 5420, 8 Gb

NVidia Quadro FX1700

Pete Farnham

Hi,

Just a thought, but when you say installed locally on each machine, was that as a local administrator or local user on login to network user?.

Having admin rights does not mean being an administrator.

Just something I can across, All software including office, Solidworks etc should be installed locally as the local administrator, (not a user with admin rights),  and with all antivirus services and not just the scanning service, stopped.

One other thing is for the user to have local admin rights, any less is asking for trouble.

Install crap cleaner, you will be amazed at what difference this makes to you machine!

Parts, Assemblies and Drawings all have their own seperate toolbars. Did you ever use Copy Settings Wizzard to backup your setting? If so you could restore your settings from the backup.

Simon Bearman
                            got the same problem 3 individual machines xp64 sw4.1 excel 2007 same setup as you. Our 3 m/cs all behave/crash differently to each other yet are supposedly identical ?
                              Mille Bojgaard

This problem happens across a lot of variations

SW: from SW 2005 to 2090

Office: from Office 2003 to 2007

- what do these machines have in common?

SW yes, but maybe something else too (since only some experience this problem). What about i.e. the anti-virus program, any add-ons or maybe a file-sharing/organizing program? Of course it could be linked to a preference in one of the programs, but clean installations should take care of that.

Mille