14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 5:01 AM by 1-LD4IFZ

Drawing info

Hi,

I am looking to create a sheet format that will automatically display the name, description, material and weight of a part. The part name and description are automatically added, but the weight and material is not. When I check the drawing properties I can see that in the weight and material description boxes there is an existing command, leading me to believe that these properties should be automatically added.

Do I have to turn on this function in some menu in order to activate it?

Also, I notice that there is no such command for the date, is there a reason it is not advantageous to automatically add the date?

I saw a discussion like this a couple of days ago that got me interested, but I have since lost it, and cannot remember the thread name.

Thanks,

Eoghan McNamara.

• Re: Drawing info
          Deepak Gupta

Eogha,

You need to edit the sheet format. Add a note and link that to the part/assembly property you need. Then save your sheet format. If you need I can create one sample file and send

Hi Deepak,

this sounds like what I am trying to achieve. I have tried to edit the sheet format on my own previously, and again on you're suggestion but I do not know how to create this 'link' with the part properties.

I can add the note whyle editing the sheet (see picture) but am unsure on the next step, how to creat the link.

Thank you for helping me out,

Eoghan McNamara.

Dennis Hvam

Hello Eoghan,

This is how I do it:

1: Place a note where you want it write "what ever you want in it" and select the note by clicking it again. (Blue arrow)

2:Look to the left hand side of the screen, this little icon marked with a green square is named "link to property" click it.

3:Here you can select if the data comes from the *.slddrw file or your part/assembly viewed on the sheet. I've selected "Model in view specified in sheet properties marked by a red square. click the drop down menu and you get alot of options.

link note.jpg

/Dennis

Hi Dennis,

that was a great explanation, and I have it nearly working now. I can insert nearly all of the options in that list, thank you! However mass and material are not in that list, and they are the ones I am particularly interested in.

When I go to create a new sheet and edit its format I can see that these links are already there, but they do not seem active as they come up blanc when I go beck to 'edit sheet', even when I specify a material for that part. The title and description links work, they have always inserted and updated them selves without prompt. The picture below shows some of the links that are already there when I go the "edit sheet format".

Can I add new properties to that list under "Model in view specified in sheet properties" or do I have to enable the existing links in the sheet somehow?

Thanks again,

Eoghan McNamara.

Dennis Hvam

Open your part.

Go tile files -> Properties:

Material and mass.jpg

Here you use the drop down menus to select your "extra" data. (The dropdown arrow will not appear until you click the blank cell)

When your model is saved you can find the new data the same place as before They should be added in the list.

They are listed as the property name is, so the ones shown in the picture will be named "Weight" and "Material".

I hope it helps

Thanks Dennis,

that worked perfectly. This will save me so much time as I wont have to manually write in every little detail on every sheet.

Prior to this I could not use the 'Add sheet' option as I would have to manually update each new sheet, instead I made one sheet in the beginning and used 'copy and paste' every time I needed an extra sheet in the drawing. Needles to say I was getting tiered of that.

This is a big step in the right direction,

Thanks for taking the time,

Eoghan McNamara.

Dennis Hvam

Hallo Eoghan, anytime!

Yeah I have seen that problem before, depending on what I'm doing I create different sheet layouts and templates, so when I add an extra sheet to my drawings I can choose to select the sheet for e.g. wood, metal, special construction, or what every I want. Each template/layout contains all the information I've created once. And now they are all filled out automatically   now that a timesaver! But as said you have to do the templates...

Or you can put all information in differnt layers and then turn them off and on as needed

/Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I think I will get onto doing that. Creating a few different templates that are ready to go when I need them sounds good to me. Do you save them as sheet formats or is there a template option?

I don't necessarly have any real formal training in SolidWorks, so I don't know how to use layers, but that sounds like an option to. I would only use it for drawings that might change and therefore need different information depending on the situation, as I am usually a little uncomfortable with hidden things that are turned off in my drawings/ models as I am quite likely to forget how to turn them back on/ delete them again.

What you have shown me though is perfect for what I need.

All the best,

Eoghan McNamara.

Dennis Hvam

Hallo,

It isn't that big a problem is SolidWorks as it was in AutoCAD. (Or thats my opionion)

I have several different layers that turn on and off accordingly to whats needed. I've e.g. can chance the logo

layers.jpg

Hi,

yes its my experience with AutoCAD that my fear stems from. But if its not such a problem then I will give it a go. It would certainty be a time saver somewhere down the line.

Thanks again,

Eoghan McNamara.

Deepak Gupta

Eoghan,

I believe this is going to be really fantastic and you may be teaching the same to those working with you. Hence pulling out their fear and of course your too to do experiment with the things and make them work better and efficient.

Hi,

thank you for the vote of confidence Deepak. My aim is to learn how to use SolidWorks by asking questions and trying things out. Some times it is slow as I do not know exactly how to change certain options or even the existence of some features. But if my questions are public then more people can help, and more can learn. I am hoping to take the SW Professionals exam at the end, but I think I have a little more work to do first.

Eoghan McNamara.

Deepak Gupta
                                                          As a advice I will suggest to create a diary kind of thing in which keep on writing the new things you learnt while working on SolidWorks, the solution to your problems and similar other things. So that you have ready reference available when you stuck with same or similar things.