3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 9:01 AM by Andries Koorzen

Migration from DBWorks to EPDM

Long story short, I left a job where I used/administered DBWorks and joined a company where I used/administered Enterprise PDM.  Now I am back with the DBWorks company, but (mainly) due to the weak web access capabilities of DBWorks, I am proceeding with a migration to Enterprise PDM.

Out of the box, DBWorks provides for a ‘cascading’ category part numbering scheme (if you so choose), which worked well to satisfy the needs of the folks who wanted our part numbers to “mean something” to non-CAD users.  With three such category levels and alpha designators, that provides for 26^3 combinations of categories (minus the occasional offensive three-letter combination), each with a serialized 5-digit number behind it.

The VAR’s implementation quote has a considerable chunk of time and money quoted for the programming to emulate this category/serial number assignment.  My argument is that as a competing product to DBWorks, they should be able to utilize SolidWorks resources or other VAR’s experiences to present alternative solutions that are comparable and financially feasible, without requiring us to completely change our numbering scheme.

Does anyone have any experience or advice that you could lend in this matter?  Possible solutions so far:

-Pay the VAR to custom program a part number assignment script and admin tool (probably rather expensive).

-Continue to use DBWorks to assign numbers, and somehow send them to EPDM (messy, not desired).

-Create serialized numbers for the 160 (or so) assigned categories and when the need arises for more, create them one at a time.

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

• Re: Migration from DBWorks to EPDM

I don't think it would be terribly difficult to set up if you didn't have serialised numbers for each category. Considering you do, it gets more involved. A template would take care of your part numbering but you would have to manage your categories manually, and your serial number would be global across all categories.

I can't think of another solution without custom programming. Maybe others have some ideas.

Jeff Sweeney

DBWorks' categories is very nice feature. I hope Enterprise gets that functionality someday.

I recently did an implementation where the customer requested this. I accomplished it with the "Controlled by variable" functionality in the list boxes. I think it works pretty good as long as you don't have tons of categories.

Your 160 categories may be a bit too many with this technique. A little custom program seems to be your best bet.

Andries Koorzen

Hi all.

Did you find a solution for this yet?

I have a client who is interested in implementing a similar solution, whereby the number for the parts include an alpha character set containing 3 letters.

E.g DT-300-AAA

The first two sets are standard, the last part gives them freedom to play around with 26^3 chars.

Any ideas or information yet?