9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 4:38 PM by Dale Dunn

Sketch orientation problem

reeshi pradhan

Hi,

I got a problem. I have to create the sketch as shown inside the red circle and this is the curve whose x, y coordinates are avalible. it is imposible to draw this sketch without given coordinate.

I have to draw the sketch in current view which has XZ plane normal to screen but XY plane horizontal

So is there any way to draw the cuve (given x,y coordinates) on ZX plane as shown in picture.

• Re: Sketch orientation problem
          Alexandre Miller

Hello Reeshi,

You can draw your sketch on the XY plane and change the sketch's plane afterwards.

-Draw on XY

-Exit Sketch

-Right-click sketch in feature manager

-Select 'Edit Sketch Plane'

-Change plane to ZX plane

Is this what you are looking for?

reeshi pradhan

Sorry that is not what I need. I will try to explain again. I get to sketch airfoil shape from airfoil coordinate data file. but I neet profile on XZ plane without modifying data file.

Acutally what I need is, I need to change the direction of default X,Y and Z axes direction as I want as in AutoCAD.

is it possible in solidworks?

Jerry Steiger

Alexandre,

If you do what you suggested, you will probably find, as I did, that your sketch is mirrored. That's because SolidWorks doesn't let us pick the normal for a plane, so you have a 50-50 chance that the sketch will be mirrored. The same problem happens with a derived sketch, which I was also going to suggest as another method of working around the original poster's problem.

I did find one work-around that did give me what I expected, but it is quite a kluge. Use the sketch to generate a surface, say a plane surface since that is the easiest and most straightforward. Now rotate (Insert/Feature/Move/Copy) the surface body 90 degrees about the X-axis. You now have your wing shape in the correct orientation. Now make a new sketch on the XZ (Top) Plane and convert entities on your surface.

If SolidWorks allowed you to Move/Copy the sketch it would be a considerably simpler process, but that isn't allowed.

Since the original poster didn't care for your solution, he will probably find this one even less attractive.

Jerry Steiger

Dale Dunn

Instead of using convert entities, use derived sketches. Generate your airfoil sketches on whatever plane has convenient coordinates, then you can create derived sketches anywhere else. Top, front, dihedral, polyhedral, wherever. Add some construction lines to help orient the airfoil, maybe a chord line and a point for center of lift?

Sketch blocks might be another option, especially if you will want to use the airfoil sections in more than one document.

Dale Dunn

Jerry,

You can use "modify sketch" to flip a derived sketch, if you haven't added any external relations yet. If you have external relations you want to keep, there is a trick from the old days. Use "edit sketch plane" to move the sketch to a plane perpendicular to the sketch, and parallel to the direction you want to flip the sketch. Edit the sketch plane and set it back to the original plane. Usually, the sketch will have the opposite orientation. If that's not working, your kludge might be easier to control on a plane in a 3dsketch.

reeshi pradhan

Thank you Dale and Jerry. I did as you guys told and it worked.

Thanks again.