6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 2:19 PM by Ryan McVay

Shortcut to custom search

Adam Meyer
      Can you make a desktop shortcut for a custom search?
        • Re: Shortcut to custom search
          Joy Garon

Hi Adam,

Yes you can - see image.

Adam Meyer

Thanks Joy,

So each search that requires a shortcut needs its own card?  Is it possible to fill out a search card using the method you showed?

What I'd like to do is create a shortcut for each user that shows which files they haved checked out.  I have a search card that the user selects their name and it shows the files they have checked out.  Do I need to make a search card for each user?

Adam

***Edit:  I just saw that there is a favorite switch for search.exe.  It might be possible to create a favorite for each user and then have the shortcut open that favorite.

Jason Capriotti

That's a handy feature. I guess you can't make it work if there is a space in the card name?

I've tried renaming the cards to remove the space but tells I don't have permission...though I'm logged in as the admin account.

Ryan McVay

I was wondering if there were settings to do the same with EPDM Item Viewer? I've have created the shortcut to ItemExplorer.exe but didn't find the /V and /S setting to work. Any ideas, anyone?

Charley Saint

Ryan,

What exactly are you looking for? If you want a shortcut to search item explorer you can use the same command to launch search.exe and just point it to a search card that's set for items instead of files. If you just want to launch item explorer from the desktop you don't need anything other than the path to itemexplorer.exe.

Ryan McVay

Charley,

Thank you. Yes, I realized afterwards that the Item Search is not a search card that launches from Item Viewer, although it would be nice if it was- then I only need to educate our staff on one tool instead of two. I created the shortcut as you described and all is working well.

Thanks again.

Ryan